Statin s Adverse Reactions

Posted , 8 users are following.

i understand the value of STAINS, and am keen to take them.

My GP Started me on Statins each one i took had various adverse reactions, mainly skin rash and CRAMPS, mainly in my right leg , thigh and foot, which wakes me up during the night. Almost no effects experienced during the day.

Speaking to the GP he stated he may have to put me down as STATIN intolerant.

I do wonder if there is a known STATIN which has low rate of known reaction?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Nigel 60991.

I was exactly the same to a point. My Rheumatologist said shr thought I was intolerant to statins. They play havoc with the skin and muscles especially when you are at rest. I stopped them and feel 80% better.

hope this helps

Dave

• Posted

HI Dave,

interesting, when one starts tacking these STATINS, and experience side effects, you do wonder if it ' just-me' but looking at the various comments it is not unusual.When reading rhe possible side effects on the packet that is very scary indeed!.

Still seeking the Holy Grail of STATINS with little or no side effects......

N.

• Edited

As far as I know there is no statin whatsoever that doesnt cause painful joints and tendons and cramping.

My advice is to get off them altogether. There are many here who will be supportive of you and can validate your experience of side effects with their own similar stories.

Also you will find a lot of valuable support here for any fears you may have about not putting those toxic drugs into your system and living with the high cholesterol.

Best of luck to you Nigel !

• Posted

Hi nigel

I have had this problem. Am now on my third different statin. Because after so many years on each suddenly they have had these negative affects.. The last time this happened i came off for a month ( gp advice) and then restarted.. And for 6 months now side effects have not returned..

• Posted

Yes i stopped taking them, and the core reactions also became vastly reduced.

I now take ROSUVASTIN 5mg dose. I have stated them again to give them a second chance... Fingers crossed...

Nigel.

• Edited

Hello Nigel,

I believe you are the first person I have come across who wants to take statins and believe they have any effect on anyone's health.

I am really interested in why you think a tablet that blocks a bodies natural function, (cholesterol) where 75% is made by the liver would enhance a persons health, that is not taking into account the side effects. Even the powers that be (FDA, NICE) are now slowly backing off from cholesterol being the enemy and have changed guidelines. Too much calcium will more then likely be the new enemy in the coming years.

As I said I really am interested in people's thoughts and reasons, this being my pet subject for the last five years.

• Posted

HI THERE,

A very interesting responce and one i will look and consider further.

Your question WHY? I guess i am one of the many who trust the view of the Gp, With ever increasing worries, i have joined links like this one, and the responce has been amazing.

I guess we believe the 'advice' we are given by our Gp is fair and our beat interests at heart.....

I had never had any cramps prior to me taking Statins since taking them, or rather stopped taking them for a month or two, the cramps have vastly reduced. But i still get them in my right leg/foot periodically.

i have done some research and am having increasing doubts..

Many thanks for time to respond, food for thought for sure.

N.

• Posted

Some of my joint and tendon pain lingered after stopping the statin. Specifically one Repatha shot gave me vicious pain on the left side of my lower back. I had had some degree of pain on the right side but nothing to match this Repatha induced pain. Never took a second shot. Pain lasted for many months and may be permanent. Not sure yet.

• Edited

Nigel,

A big reason the powers that be are changing their views on statins is because they are known to cause dementia, which we all know is a big problem in the modern world.

I like everyone else used to look up to doctors in the past sadly, GP's now have to follow strict guidelines, they have to tick boxes, the questions are laid down as are the drugs they prescribe by those 'powers' who sit behind desks unfortunately, these regulations mean doctors hands are tied and they are not allowed freedom to be 'real' doctors.

Magnesium is the best thing to take if you do suffer cramps or restless legs.

• Posted

I tried taking some statins Atorvastatin (Lipitor) on the advice of my doctor, because I am type 2 diabetic and my cholesterol was always over 205 and LDL over 140. My first side effects were stomach pain, so I stopped. A year later I tried them again and this time I broke it in half and took it with food. It did help, my cholesterol was down over 20 points, but it made my blood sugar go way up,

I then looked for a natural supplement and found Cholestoff. It is made with all natural stanols and sterols plus some propitiatory ingredient. Well in just a few days my total cholesterol was below 150 and no side effects at all. And I am getting my blood sugar back under control. I talked my wife into trying it, her cholesterol has been over 260 for years. In just a few days I tested her and it was down to 167. A 93 point drop. Try it and let me know if you get the same results.

• Posted

GOOD MORNING JONATHAN,

W ell that is interesting! I will try that, did you get these via the Gp or had to pay for them, are they readily available over the counter?

That is an excellent set of results for you and your wife , i am so pleased.

kindest regards,

Nigel.

• Posted

Hello Nigel: This is not a prescription, it is an over the counter supplement. In the US I have found it in most large grocery stores and health food stores, but I have found the best price online. I take 2 or 3 per day. That is about $10 US per month. I hope you have internet access and can have it delivered. It is worth trying.

• Edited

Of all the many people I know put on statins, virtually everyone I know over 60, only one reported no side effects.

I was put on simvastatin in 2010 with a total cholesterol of 7.8, and whilst it did get my cholesterol down to 3.2 total, I had massive side effects. The GP surgery then tried me first on provastatin then atorvastatin over an 18 month period. Both had exactly the same catastrophic side effects - crippling pain in every joint and muscle, swollen feet, ankles and calves, a creeping rash up my legs and round the middle, extreme exhaustion from being unable to sleep with the pain, plus inevitably, depression. Worst of all (please forgive the graphic details) I had total faecal incontinence as I already had a severe bowel condition which statins just made worse.

I went from being a fit, slightly overweight but active person, to a bloated housebound wreck tied mostly to a chair, or hobbling around, living in incontinence pads, having to constantly change and wash underwear and bedding due to leakage. At my annual checkup I told them I had no quality of life left, and was concerned that if statins did this to my bowel muscles, what were they doing to my heart muscle.

As a result I was taken off statins, and my notes marked "severely reactive". I was told to take one of the cholesterol reducing drinks daily instead, even though I did offer to take a "fibrate", the alternative drug to statins. It took 9 months for the symptoms to subside, and of course my cholesterol went up but only to 6.0. So I think the drinks do have some effect.

10 years down the line, and every time I have a blood test I get an immediate phone call - "We're putting you on statins!" Each time I ask "Did you read my notes? No? Well please do so". Each time I say "I'll try something else. No I won't re-consider statins - I'll NEVER take them again". I've lost count of the number of times I've had this conversation with the GP.

The latest episode was last month when a strict 3 month low carb low fat diet, following a diagnosis of diabetes, took me down to 5.2, but they wanted me below 4. This time further research by the GP showed both statins and the alternative were contra-indicated with my bowel condition, and my notes marked accordingly. But I bet I end up going through the same sorry rigmarole at my next blood test in February. In the meantime I am also taking one 5gm teaspoon of inulin in water, which several diabetics with high cholesterol recommended. It does affect my bowel condition, but nowhere near as badly as statins, and has no other side effects. Time will tell if it helps lower cholesterol.

I'll bet virtually nobody has a natural total level less than 4, particularly now it is accepted that 80% of cholesterol is a natural function of the liver, not diet. I get so angry with the medical profession pushing them on everyone - some doctors favour everyone over a certain age taking them as a precaution. (Can the NHS afford it?) The latest scare wants to start them in the mid 20's. Yes they are great for some people, particularly those with heart conditions where the side effects are better than the effects of the heart condition. And if you don't get side effects, then great. But 20 years down the line will we be looking at the long term effects of all that muscle atrophy - low cholesterol and a wasted heart muscle - and facing another thalidomide type scandal over dementia?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.