Stay on citalopram or switch medication?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

i have taken 20mg citalopram for a few years and stayed stable. In August last year I am not sure what caused it but anxiety, panic attacks and couldn't leave the house. I increased to 25mg slight improvement. 9 weeks ago l increased to 30mg. I am 50-60% better but still have anxiety and have some negative thoughts.

do I hold out?

increase,?

or switch meds?

thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! It sounds like the citalopram is definitely helping, but I understand when it's still not where you want to be. My doctor added the smallest dose of a mood stabilizer called Abilify (I'm in the US, it may be aripiprazole if you're else where) and it has worked perfectly with zero side effects. Worth a shot!

• Posted

Forgot to mention I'm on 40mg citalopram, so could be worth it to increase before trying another! Either way I promise something will work for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.