Steroid injection

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had been really struggling with RA

for several weeks before my rheumatology appointment. The consultant said it was very active and gave me an intramuscular steroid injection as well as a prescrip for methotrexate ( previously on plaquenil.) After 3 days my joints, fingers and toes, were almost problem free.  How long will this steroid effect last and could I have repeated injections?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Mine used to last 5 or 6 weeks and I think they said a max of one every 3 months, but that could have just been in my case
  • Posted

Hi Anne. My steroid injection tends to last 6-8 weeks. I've  had 3 so far this year so I'm not allowed any more. They use the steroid injection to bring it down fast then the methotrexate to keep it low. How much methotrexate are you on? I'm up to 25mg and I'm still not feeling a benefit 
    • Posted

My dose of methotrexate is 12.5 mg and I've now taken this for 3 weeks, my follow up appointment is in 3 months so I am dreading it not helping, after the affect of the steroid injection has worn off!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.