Steroid reduction.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi it's me again still reducing steroids gradually but since the previous reduction in October now down to 5 I still have the aches and muscular pains.it is worse in my knees particularly when I stand from sitting. Feel very stiff when walking and shoulders and even fingers ache. It's a brilliant drug but absolute hell to come off I was on 40mg sometimes more for 5 years. Can anyone else relate to the pains in the knees and legs. I wish you all a happy healthy 2017 and for fellow reduces let's hang in there together. So grateful for your support. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I totally relate, I still have leg pains (less severe) at 1mg/day. I had sore elbows, not fingers, hey ho! Well done on coming down so far. Hope this is your final year on steroidssmile

• Posted

Thank you so much for this. Was it painful for you when standing up. Well done to you down to one. It's going to take a year getting off completely. Hope my weight will be in control by then

• Posted

Yes. It was worst when I stood up having been sitting down. It's worse because my sofa is very low sad

• Posted

Hi Ann

I started a discussion a couple of months ago about Prednisolone withdrawal symptoms and wonder if you've seen it because it really has given me a great deal of information and such lovely people replied to me so that i didn't feel I was going mad!

I have had exactly the same problems with aching knees, like you worst on standing, and also the legs as well.  Sometimes my fingers ache as well but mainly my legs.  It just goes on and on and seems to get worse at night although I don't know why!

I went to my consultant recently and told him and he did lots of blood tests but, of course, they are all normal.  i am down to 0.5 mg a day now and am still getting the aching and pains but am hoping that when I get off them completely (next week I hope!) it will start to stabilise.  However, i do know that you can continue to have the withdrawal symptoms for months even once yoiu've finished so am just keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck and all the best for 2017

Jill 

• Posted

Thank you so much Jill well done you hopefully being off them completely next week. Will keep my fingers crossed for you. If you have time please update us on your progress. Best wishes to you. 
  • Posted

Ann, what you have described, is exactly what I experienced and will continue until the tapering off is complete.

What you are experiencing is the "mask" of the Prednisolone anti-inflamatory properties coming off and exposing you to pre-existing conditions such as arthritis, muscular pain and anything like pinched nerves etc.

When I was tapering off from 50mg, all my joints ached, everything. I have chronic arthritis all over my body but mainly in my right knee, sternum, back and hands. As the Prednisolone ebbed away these joints were no longer being protected and so I felt the full force of the arthritis.

What you are missing now, is the body's own natural production of Cortisol. It is a natural anti-inflamatory. Prednisolone has caused the body to lower it's production of Cortisol and it will take time for the body to wind production of Cortisol back up to normal levels. This condition is either referred to as an Addisonian Crisis or an Adrenal Crisis.

Other effects of an Adrenal Crisis is severe fatigue.

Consult your doctor first, but pain killers may help. I took them when there were days where the pain was out of control.

I sincerely wish everyone all the best for 2017. We all have to hope that things will get even a little bit better than they are now. What else is there otherwise.

• Posted

I forgot to mention, Ann, it is very important to keep to a strict tapering off regime at the low levels.

Do not think that small amounts of Prednisolone will be easier to reduce than the higher levels. It's all about the rate of change, not the actual phyisical amounts of the drug you are reducing.

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your symptoms and coping ideas. Thank god for this site it's such a relief to know I'm experiencing the normal symptoms. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.