Steroids for hsp

Posted , 2 users are following.

im 16 and have had hsp for 10 months im due to get my kidney biopsy but doctors are 100% my kidneys have been affected so there putting me on steroids but the syptoms is weight gain, vivid nightmares and bad mood swings and 'moon face' i dont want to gain weight or get moon face so does anyone no another drug apart from steroids which helped your hsp go and doesnt gain weight also IF i do go steroids do the drugs make you out on weight even if you eat healthy or do they make you hungry all the time can i diet while on them and not gain weight or strave myself?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You can try IVIG (Intravenous Immunoglobulin tx). It is the only thing I have not tried. Unfortunately there isn't a treatment that is 100% effective and results vary from case to case. I have tried years of steroids, other immunosuppressants such as cellcept and tacrolimus, even Rituximab infusions (sort of like chemotherapy). Nothing saved my kidneys, requiring transplant 5 years after HSP started. I was 26 years old when diagnosed with HSP. To this day I have flare-ups from time to time (even taking 3 daily immunosuppressants, including 5mg prednisone for life), however never as bad and lengthy as the first. I hope this info helps. I am sorry you are going through this.

• Posted

PS: About steroids, high doses can give you a lot of energy which you can use to exercise and lose weight. Unfortunately the moon face will only go away when dose is decreased (you can google make up tips to make moon face look thinner).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.