Stiffness

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone just to let you know how I'm doing nearly 4 weeks po walking with one stick now and was doing really well until yesterday my knee was really sore at the front then today I've found it really stiff and hard to bend any advice would be grateful

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I know you are excited to be mobile but remember there is lots of healing that is taking place and the body is only capable of mending at its own pace. Slow down a little. Rest, hydrate and stay with the excercises. Right now take a couple of days off just to let things calm down then start back slowly
  • Posted

I think you will find that some days are just ACHEY DAYS. I remember my four- week time post op as being SWELLING, SWELLING, and more SWELLING. The excess swelling led to more stiffness and pain. I wondered if I just was DOING TOO MUCH.

I began wrapping my feet all the way up to my thighs with compression bandages. That helped quite a bit. Also, I rested more and drank more water to try to get the swelling down.

By six weeks I felt A LOT better all the way around. Sometimes your body is just as frustrated as your mind, I think, and it just can't figure out what the heck HAPPENED to it!

Have some rest days. That helped me. The road isn't always a smooth one, but you WILL feel better as time passes.

I am at nine weeks post op. I feel much better than I did at even six weeks, but there still are some very ACHEY DAYS for me. I try to ride the ride like a roller coaster because that's how it feels a lot of the time. Scary, taking my breath away, but LOVING the LOOPS!

Be patient. You WILL HAVE MORE good days coming!

• Posted

Hi,  i've had partial knee replacement on both legs, nine weeks apart,  and I'm six weeks postop of second one, I still walk with two sticks, could manage one now, but  take two just in case, as my first. Knee tends to give way every now and then, I can walk a mile, but always no I've done it, as both knees ache and swell,  I know it's frustrating but I think you need to slow down a bit. 
    • Posted

To me, its a matter of how safe i feel and notwhat medical professional tells me how the text book says i should be. Everyones balance is different and that has to ne most important aspect. If your gut feeling tells you the pace needs slowing down, it's probably right.....listen. As long as you are continuing to move forward, the speed isnt important. As so many will tell you, this is a marathon
    • Posted

Please remember that walking is a relatively high impact exercise.  Do more muscle strengthening exercises, especially your quads.  These you can do anywhere and all while "resting".  Good luck
    • Posted

Mandy, i failed to mention one important thought when it comes to walking. Its very important to remember doing it correctly. Stand up straight and stride out mabe even a little excessively, heel, ball and toe. This brings you back to stretching and not pounding. Then make sure all of this is done slowly. It'll look funny and a half mile will be an eternity but speed and distance arent important at 4 weeks. If you arent at or close to 0 on the ROM, work to get there as you will continual to walk with a limp until y i u are straight.
    • Posted

You couldn't have said it better, OFG. After weeks of less-than satusfactory assistance at the private PT clinic that I was attending, I went back to the hospital on friday (post my manipulation wednesday) and was shown MANY exercises that the original guy NEVER showed me nor explained. After doing all the new stuff on friday - my muscles were sore as all heck yesterday and so I reverted to the walker for a while ... just felt more secure. Today, the muscles are better again and I am back on the cane ....working to improve the quads and feeling much more confident. The old PT was all about the bend (no treble - couldn't resist) and had even told me that IF the surgeon was not willing to perform the manipulation - that he really didn't need to see me anymore ... 
  • Posted

hi linda sounds like your doing great when you over do things the body will tell you dont let it get you down ice it after walking and any excersise  its just tired do some excersises on the bed or on a chair just to get it going and you will find it will feel better after if you have foot pedels use them turn them slowly at first back and forward i dont supose you are able for the bike as that would loosen it up i wouldnt advise doing nothing as it will only stiffen up more do some excersise but do it slowly the tea tray on the floor would be good slide it slowly back and forth do it a few times during the day it should do the trick you will be fine as for all of us its just a step back but before you know it you will be 2 steps forward
  • Posted

Thanks everyone didn't think I was doing to much but I'm going to rest it today and see how I go never thought it was going to be this hard but at least I can go to the toilet first thing on a morning without dreading it now still stiff but at least I can walk did anybody else keep getting goose bumps just on that leg I do often
    • Posted

You are doing just fine.  As for goosebumps, it will take a while before you 'trust' your knee, be brave and very patient.  All in all it will take a good 18 months before you fully recover.  It is a major thing you have gone through and will not heal over a couple of weeks; no matter what people tell you.  If you slip, trip, or fall, it will dawn on you just how stable and strong your joint really is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.