Still feeling poorly on Cit - Please help ...scared

Posted , 9 users are following.

It has been a good 4 weeks + ,I have had a heart palpitation tonight it really scared me ,my head is feeling strange i have tried to take 10 cit in the morning -10 cit in the evening not working now trying 20 evening -10 morning

i just cannot get my tablets right . I am forgetting things -like why i am going into a shop andforget what i go in there for - feel ill when i go out  for the day . I feel it is never ending it is taking all my energy out of me trying  to sort my head out scared i will never sort myself out  ..Do not know what else to do -- Any ideas please at the end feeling i am never going to get better -i do not seem to have much support from the medical profession .Do not know what to do now ..

Thank you 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What dose are you on?  Not sure what you mean 10mg at night, or 20 in the evening and 10 in the morning.

4 weeks is still very early days.  It takes some people 3-4 months to feel any benefit from this medicine, and it's a tough journey before getting there.

It doesn't matter when you take your medicine - just be consistent and stick with it.  You're going through the side effects at the moment, and every time the dose is increased you may get side effects again.  You have to be very patient and wait for these unpleasant side effects to pass - in time you'll start to feel better.

It does feel never ending, but it will ease in time.  But remember, mark progress month by month, not week by week.  Small changes happen each month - it's a slow process, but keep persevering and you'll get there.

We've all been through this xx

• Posted

I take 20mg at night and I only get slight sick feeling in morning but then again I have only been on 20mg just over a week not sure if that helps but people keep telling me to stick with it as it needs time to work
  • Posted

Hi nikki-yvonne

So sorry to hear your having such a bad time at the moment. Like you i am on my 4th week. I am taking 20mg in the mornings. Has your doctor prescribed you 30mg? I had a couple of occasions of heart palpitations but they were fleeting. I think you need to try to take the cit at a regular time so that your body gets use to it. I had a whole range of symptoms when I swapped my cit from evening to mornings. I tried going out this week and within an hour was retching and wanting to go home. I too get forgetful and it's embarrassing. From reading other peoples experiences it would seem we need to persevere a bit longer some people say between 6 and 8 weeks. You mentioned you do not have much medical support. Healthy Minds have been great support can you tap into this service? (Not sure of your location but there will be something similar in your area) please try not to keep swapping times of your meds. Let them have chance to build up in your body at regular intervals.

Wishing you a better day today xx

• Posted

Thank you all for you advise - explaining  is was taking 20mg-10mg in the morning and another 10mg in the evening have not felt much progress - so  up it to 2omg in the evening and - 10mg in the morning feel dreadful  - I will keep this discussion updated to help other people in my situation - hoping it improves -the journey is hard . Thanks again for the replies and support  
    • Posted

Hi nikki-yvonne

I agree with you its really hard path we are walking!! Please keep us updated and stay positive it's a matter of time until we get back to our old selves!

L xx

• Posted

That's a huge dose for someone who's only been on it 4 weeks!  No wonder you feel dreadful.  Usually people ease their way onto this medicine with 10mg for a few weeks before increasing to 20mg.  I'm assuming your doctor upped your dose to 20mg in the evening and 10mg in the morning?

Big doses don't necessarily mean you'll recover quicker.  Doesn't matter what dose you take, it'll still take the same amount of time.  You have to work with a small dose first, let it settle into your body, let the side effects ease off, and then increase if you need to.  It might take 3-4 months before you can decide if you need a bigger dose.  40mg is the maximum dose for Citalopram.  It really is a long slow process, and I really do mean 'long'.  You can't hurry recovery - it will happen in it's own time.

You won't feel any progress for months, and especially whilst your body gets used to that big dose.  Remember, you are going to feel quite rough for some weeks yet, but it will ease.

Keep us posted x

• Posted

I've been on cit for a little more than a year after 2 months it started working after 3 I was pretty much back to normal. The first few months were really tough but i used to talk to my sister about everything that i was experiencing which helped a lot. My brother and Sister passed away this year and i thought i was going to start going backwards but i kept pushing and made it through. Its hard to find positive stories online because people only seem to come on these sites when there struggling but i like to pop in every few months to let people know if you can make it through the first months you'll be feeling better.
    • Posted

Hi kain

What a wonderful post. Thank you your words will give comfort to many . ... me included!! Sorry to hear of your losses

Thanks so much again

Lorraine

• Posted

Thank you Kain for writing back -- Sorry you have experienced your loses . A  true inspiration to others thank you 
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone who has contacted me -it is nice to know i am not alone -

I will keep you up dated  - 

• Posted

Hi

Yes you will recover. Me and my sister are the ones that are fully recovered. IT IS a long process. Mine took a year. My sister was struggling for two years with this/

So just be patient

• Posted

Hi Nikki, 

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a tough time. I agree with the other comments, your GP should've started you on a much lower dose and worked up. I think I did 5mg for a week, then 10mg, for a week, up to 30mg. It took about 8 weeks/ 2 months to start seeing the good effects but you will get there. You can always your practise nurse instead of GP for advice as well. Just take a day at a time and soon several will pass, then weeks and it will get better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.