Still not having a period after starting the birth control

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PCOS after not having a period for over 2 years. After going to the doctor i was put on birth control and it caused me pain in my ovary area for the first few months and after the first few months i stopped having periods again except for minor spotting one day out of the week i should be having a period. I am not sure if this is normal or not? my doctor did not explain pcos very much to me and i just need some ones opinion who knows what its like to have pcos.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I've had PCOS for going on two years now. I found out I had it because after I went off of BC pills my period never came back. Then I started gaining weight, growing more hair and all those lovely symptoms. When I went to my regular obgyn she didn't tell me much, just that I probably had this disease I'd never heard of before and sent me to the lab for blood work. So I went home and did my own research. I found out about a PCOS clinic out of UCSF hospital. Basically, all different doctors come together one day a week to see specifically PCOS patients. In one 3 hour appointment I saw a gynecologist, endocrinologist, dietician, geneticist, dermatologist, and psychiatrist. I HIGHLY recommend either finding a clinic in your area or going to UCSF because my regular OB did NOT give me the tools I needed to manage my PCOS. 

To answer your question about birth control, I do not know if the spotting is normal or not, BUT I am going to tell you what I have learned from both doctors and doing my own research. While I have been prescribed birth control pills to manage my PCOS, I am very hesitant to take them because part of me believes that they are the reason I am in this position in the first place. Some woman are against taking birth control pills because its essentially using hormones to solve a hormonal problem. Recently, at a follow up appointment I told my doctor my concerns about the BC pills. She explained to me that having PCOS raises your risk of uterine cancer because when you don't have a regular period you aren't shedding your lining every month. Basically, the only benefit of taking the BC pills is to ensure a monthly period so as to lower your risk of developing cancer. My point is that many woman's periods have NATURALLY returned with lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, vitamins/supplements, weight loss etc). I personally have found that my periods have naturally returned every three months and am confident that with time and discipline I will get it back to every month. If you are concerned about how the BC pills are affecting you, I would recommend doing more research on this. It is up to you to make an informed decision because while doctors are amazing at what they do, PCOS is still under research and there are always other ways. Find what works for you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.