stinging eyes

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have Sjogrens and just lately I have been using my dry eye ointment viscotears and it has been really stinging my eyes especially my left one I have blurred vision in the left eye xxx

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I use drops rather than ointment, and usually the type that come in separate one-dose ampoules. These are more expensive, but then my dry eye problem comes and goes so I don't have to use them every day of the year. The normal drops irritate my eyes, which my doctor says is down to antibacterial products in them. The one-dose kind stay sterile without any antibacterials.

• Posted

Thanks Lily I am going to the docs tomorrow to see if there is something else I can use x

L

• Posted

I use a product called carmize drops.  You need to use drops more frequently if they are stinging so much.  I find that if I don't use them on a regular basis then my eyes really sting.  I was advised that when my eyes are that dry to use the eye drops every 30 minutes if need be.

xxx

• Posted

Thanks Mandy I will see how I go after using the steroid drops the doc has given me today x
  • Posted

Hi, I'm not an expert in any way but I am only suggesting that you use the ointment before you go to sleep at night because your eyes will get blurry. You can close your eyes before sleeping and wont realm notice your blurred vision. It was suggested you use to the moisture eye drops more often and from experience I totally agree. Also make sure your drops and lubricants are preservative free or it will sting like crazy.

Good luck to you and God bless you

Kristyk

• Posted

My eyes have always been very sensitive, but I've been quite happy with similasan. They are for dry eye relief which is homeopathic. I just use them as needed, but they never make my eyes sting which is great. If they are available to you, it might be a helpful option.
  • Posted

Hi Joycemadine

I have only used those ampoules and an allergy/itching drug for eyes prescribed by docs. I tried some of the OTC drops in a multi-use container but didn't like them. Eventually i had to quit the allergy med because it began causing a tic after 3 yrs.

So i use the sensitive-plus form of ampoules several times daily as needed and carry them with me always. Used a targ generic for quite a long time. Then got a new pack and one of the ampoules burned my eye, so back to my namebrand! When my eyes itch a lit i go ahead and use the rx stuff. I have the mentioned homeooathic stuff but haven't tried it.

In humid times i only use ampoules twice, 1st thing when i get up & right before bed. When it's drier i use them 4 or 5 times daily.

Hope everyone here knows always apply drops from outer edge one at a time alternating eyes and blinking gently a few times plus rolling eyes around a bit.

Good luck

• Posted

I am kind of new to this forum and have joined all of you a few times. I live in th U.S. &. some of the medications you talk about I am not familiar with. What are ampoules? Thank you

God bless

Kristy k

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

In this context, ampoules are tiny containers each containing an individual dose of eye drops. Because of this, each dose remains sterile until opened, so they don't need to add antibacterial preservatives. For a lot of us, it's these chemicals that cause the stinging.

• Posted

Hi Lily,

Thank you very much.

Take care

Kristy k

• Posted

Thanks ,been to docs got some steroid drops he said if I was no better by Friday have to go to the emergency eye clinic at the hospital
    • Posted

Thanks ,been to docs got some steroid drops he said if I was no better by Friday have to go to the emergency eye clinic at the hospital
    • Posted

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this discomfort. Glad you saw the doctor. I hope you feel better soon. Keep in touch to let us know how you are doing.

God bless you,

Kristyk

• Posted

It is normal to have some stinging in your eyes especially with some oitments. If they sting with just eye drops like Systane, then they are very sensitive and you might need the help of your eye doctor. Restasis also burns. Try using shea butter around your eyelids for tissue moisture and omega 3 and other healthy oils to aid moisture. Drink organic tart cherry juice (two teaspoons) in a glass of water a few times a day. It reduces inflammation. If you drink it straight it will be too tart. Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.