Stomach burn, easophagus discomfort and bloating - what next

Posted , 2 users are following.

In 30s, no smoking, female, I have gerd from past 4 years. I haven't had any acidity issues lately. After a trip, I have been having bloating esp after lunch through the night. Digestive ailments aggravated a month ago. Dr put me on Pepcid for long term. I didn't want to take it forever.

I have bloating, pressure in the upper abdomen and some discomfort in the food pipe when i swallow solids. stomach burn went away when i changed the diet.

How long does easophagus take to heal from acidity attack? how long before i talk to my Dr about endoscopy?

please share your experience.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I know this is an old post, and hope you're doing better now. I just wanted to share that I had an experience with a lot of stomach inflammation for a while, and it caused me issues I'd never had. I had been drinking a lot leading up to that time. I had a scope done eventually (by a low-rated doctor as I later found), but by time I did, I was actually feeling better and just wanted to keep the appointment and have it checked. The scope (and unnecessary polyp removal without me knowing he was going to do that) inflamed me much worse and I had severe issues and couldn't eat anything, no matter how plain or small without major issues for quite a while. I thought he had messed something up badly and it may not get better. I was scared and a total wreck as I felt I would never be able to have a normal life, and it was so miserable feeling that being alive didn't feel good at all anyway.

It took quite a while. Inflammation can take a lot of time to heal. I don't remember how long it was, but it was so stressful. They tried to blame it on conditions they said I had, but I told them I'd never had issues like this. I told them rest seemed to help, because my stomach was so inflamed that even movement irritated it. They wouldn't listen and said I was just going to have to take all these meds forever. I didn't want to do that and they're not all good for you at all. So, I decided to listen to myself first based on how things felt, and with time and avoiding things that made it worse for long enough, it eventually healed.

I have little issues here and there that may be due to hernias (small and for some don't produce symptoms at all even), but nothing as major as it was back then.

I read about someone once who had a lot of issues for a long time, and then he avoided every single thing that ever seemed to trigger it for like a year or two, and he got better. He then was able to start having those 'trigger' things in moderation and be just fine. I also have a family member who had the worst acid reflux I'd ever heard of for years, but when he avoided triggers and started a healthier lifestyle as well, it got better for him too. It may not work that way for everyone, but sometimes time and healing is a long process and what is needed, rather than meds (a band-aid and sometimes bad one).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.