stomach pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I've taken 1 pill so far, and now 5 later still have pains in my stomach, have others had this and if so how long does it take till the side effect is a lot less

i'm 58 had a dexa scan after breaking my wrist, i'm also considering not using the pills and finding a way to stop the bone breakdown using foods does anyone have info about this

thanks Jan

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I took my first Risendronate on Friday & felt ill over the weekend, flu like symptoms, feeling sick etc.  I've decided not to take again next week, I feel I want to research alternatives to help me, I really am worried about the side effects of this drug.  I was also given Lansoprazole to take daily but i've stopped taking this also.  Having been taking the chewable ad cal & don't seem to have any problems with these.  I'm going to arrange to see GP to discuss but I expect she'll try & persuade me to continue with the medication

• Posted

Hi

I only took it the once and had stomach pain all week slowly decreased in severity but the first 2 days I had to come home from work early it was that bad. I haven't taken it this week but have made an appointment with doc to discuss my options as like you would like to try other methods. I will post my findings. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Kath

• Posted

hi sue and kath, lets hope one of us come up with a good alternative. 

im seeing an acupuncturist thursday, hes helped me with other things, so hoping he has an idea

im not surehow fast we lose the bone density, meds are offered so quickly

i wonder if we really need them

• Posted

The usual Vitamin D3 and calcium, plus Vitamin K2 (not K1), magnesium and a generally healthy diet, limiting simple carbs, sugar, maximizing nourishing foods.  Appropriate exercise includes walking, wearing a weighted walking vest (introduced very carefully and do not use if you have any back pain without consulting doctor first) Nordic walking (improves upper body strength) tai chi (good for bones plus helps improve sense of balance) .  A physiotherapist can offer strategies for protecting the spine, plus exercises to strengthen core and muscles supporting the spine.    
  • Posted

Please, anyone posting here, make sure you are given a DXA scan before accepting any osteoporosis drugs.  They are just such serious medication no one should take them unless there is a real need, and then only for a couple of years to maximize benefit and minimize side effects - this gives you time to get your natural treatments established (nutrition, supplements and appropriate exercise).
  • Posted

First and foremost, what are your tscores? It is imperative that you know this because you need to be able to measure improvements. 

Once you know your tscores and do some research you can begin to decide what is best for you.

I was prescribed AA and even picked up the tablets and looked at them for ages whilst I researched and considered my options, I looked into the other drugs as well.

I did not take them and started to look at my diet and began supplements.

Probably the most valuable supplement is vitamin K2 and you can take this with or without the drugs. It aims the calcium at the bones and does many other good things for your health as well. We cannot get this from our diet as we would need to eat about a kilogram of old cheese for example.

Foods like bone broth, avocados, cucumber, leafy greens and an overall good diet will not only help your bones but your general health as well.

You need to check your D3 levels via a blood test. People seem to be short of this even in sunny countries like Australia.

There will be some other excellent pearls of wisdom from people like Anhaga.

All the best.

• Posted

Excellent advice. I did some research and I have started to take vitamin K2. Starting to feel some changes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.