Stopping Allopurinol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Appointment with part time gp today directed to her by my own doctor as she is involved with the local skeletal service. One of first things she said was who told me I had gout told her full blood panel came back with high uric acid level, call from surgery put me on Allopurinol . Next words so no physical check made answered no. Then looked at how my body was reacting to drug not happy

Result stop the drug, she is goings to chase up OT appointment for me and agreed with me that this problem with left hand has all the markings of Carpal Tunnel.

Think from now any Skeletal problems ie the OA I have in ankles, neck, shoulder. will do my best to see her.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

So you were never diagnosed with gout, generally starting in the big toe, and hurting like the dickens, with swelling and hot skin?

How high was your UA?

I was just reading all the online about allopurinol and every entry contains language like, "This is not an innocuous drug and should not be used just for hyperuricemia".

How long have you been taking it, and what kind of reactions did you have? Consensus seems to be that problems are common early on, but most people then acclimate to it.

• Posted

Took it for 16weeks started on 100mg blood test after 4weeks showed liver not happy left on 100mg , the next 2 blood tests same results.and during this time never saw a doctor face to face or even spoke to one all results and instructions past on by office staff Side effects,

Nausea, disrupted sleep , sweats any time day or night, brain fog,no energy, tastebuds changed ,

Lasted for full 16 weeks ended up on Omeprazole to control sickness. I do have a tendency to react to drugs ie 20+years ago smallest print said my cause skin itching I developed eczema.

Not taken drugs for 48 hours starting to feel better just taking pain relief for my OA at night.

• Posted

Thanks OPG, sorry to hear of the problems, "liver not happy" is a bad thing but I guess some of that is a common early side effect, much less the rest.

Did it benefit your UA in that time?

As an extra question - did you ever try celery seed before allopurinol? They are both supposed to be xanthine oxidase inhibitors, though I think not identical.

• Posted

Blood panel was because I developed a nasty bruise at base of thumb have OA there but ended up at A&E as though I had broken something pain !!! Just to much.Told tendon injury and put in splint. No improvement in 14 days so went to GP that vist started the cycle.

Total shock, phone call went something like this my GP was on holiday did not know this GP

You have gout, come and collect script today blood test in 28days ok.

Iam a 66year-old female ,never smoked, no alcohol for 20 years, about 16lbs overweight, gout were did that come from any information I have obtained from medical sites plus information sheet in table box. Feel very let down

• Posted

OPG, still haven't heard your UA numbers from diagnosis or latest tests?

Where does it come from? Not sure there's an answer. Certainly heredity helps. A diet heavy in purines will at least trigger it, have you examined the food lists and determined what you were eating - and I hope you've improved?

If you can track the diet to something bad you've been eating a lot, then depending on your numbers a first line of treatment might be to simply clean up the diet, maybe add some celery or celery seed, see if your symptoms improve, test your UA again in six weeks or so.

Is your hand at least better now?

• Posted

Woman have relative protection against gout until the menopause. But after that its simply - genes. Gout is genetic ( the genes implicated are the urate transporter genes SLC2A9, ABCG2 and SLC22A12, but there may be others). Gout runs in families. (In my case for example all my second cousins on my maternal side have gout - which implies that our common ancestor grandparent was probably a victim too). * See point 2 below.

You can make all the lifestyle changes you like and youll still have high blood urate, which is doing lots of damage causing sub-clinical inflammation throughout your body.

IF it turns out to be a one-off attack you are lucky. if it happens regularly im sure your doctors will advise you go onto urate reducing drugs.

NB 1 drink plenty of water

2 Are you taking any other drugs as that can cause gout?

good health!

• Posted

Asked for UA numbers somehow not told in fact selective deafness was the order of the day. I will get to bottom of this have plan for new years

• Posted

Don't have much history from maternal side but on law of averages I have 36 first cousins on that side that Iam aware of so bound to be at least 1. Paternal side father only child no one alive to ask

As for other meds calcium , multi vitamin, all levels checked and ok plus Co-codamal 8/300 only 2 at night can take more but don't

• Posted

Carpel tunnel is an unusual but not unknown symptom of gout. it was the first thing i had. never had it since i took allopurinol.

in what way does allopurinol not agree with you? how long you bern on it?

i assume shes put you on Fabrusat (excuse spelling).

Get referred to a rheumatologist - the average GP doesnt care about gout - its a disease of old men as far as the average female GP thinks - they dont even know it causes geart disease.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply think i have explained most things in reply above

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.