Stopping combined Mirena / Patches HRT

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello!

I'm 56 years old and I've been using Progynova weekly patches alongside a Mirena coil as HRT for about 2 years. My symptoms were mild, occasional hot flushes, slightly achy joints, mostly my knees and general low mood. But due to my job, I decided the hot flushes, especially, were not something I could cope with so decided to go down the HRT path. Since starting this HRT, my skin is almost constantly breaking out in spots which take a while to clear and I won't go to work without concealer or makeup on.

I didn't suffer much from spots or acne as a teenager so it feels particularly upsetting now. It makes me feel horrible. I suffered a similar reaction when I had a Mirena for contraception about 18 years ago and actually had it removed. I went back to it later on and the symptoms were not quite as bad but this is the worst it has been so I'd like to stop the HRT rather than start expensive topical treatments to treat my skin which from past experience, don't agree with me either.

There are a few other personal symptoms I'm suffering that could be caused by HRT/Menopause/Pandemic - it's hard to tell and I will search the chats to see if I can find some answers but in the meantime has anyone else suffered this and as it's not possible to slowly the reduce the Mirena , it's either in or it's out, am I going to have any odd side effects of stopping them both immediately?

Any thoughts would be so gratefully received as the nurse practitioner at my GP practice knew very little, to be honest 😦

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.