Strange Facial Spasms and Eye Watering

Posted , 1 user is following.

White Male, 21 years old, No prior history of allergies or serious medical conditions

I've been having a very strange issue for the past 6 weeks or so and was hoping I could get some feedback from people here. I have a doctor who I have been seeing, but his suggestions have not helped so far. I will be going in to see him again later this week and hopefully get a better idea of what is going on.

Around the end of May, I started getting very sensitive eyes, to the point where I had to stop wearing contacts and completely and had to wear sunglasses all the time (even indoors on bad days). I assumed it was allergies, although I've never had allergies before and the symptoms don't improve even indoors (I've also deep-cleaned my room for allergens several times but doesn't make a difference). Then, after a few weeks, the general eye sensitivity turned into these full-blown "attacks", where my eyes would water uncontrollably and my eyelids would get super heavy and unable to stay open. I can feel these attacks coming about 20 seconds before they hit, and usually only last for 1-2 minutes before letting up. It's the oddest feeling when it happens, but I can best describe as being very uncomfortable and intense. It feels like my face tenses up even when I try my best to relax, and the tubes in my ears open really wide like when I am yawning.

As per my doctors recommendation, I tried all sorts of antihistamines (Claritin, Reactin, Benadryl, Alleve, allergy eye drops, and allergy nasal spray). None of them seem to help however, and the eye drops just burn for a while. If it was just eye sensitivity and a runny nose, I could deal with it just fine, but it is quite a bit worse than that. Some days I have no symptoms and it's like normal, but other days the symptoms are debilitating and I have to take the day off from work because I cant do anything. As well, on bad days, sometimes these attacks will happen into the night, and I have had several nights of no-sleep in the past 6 weeks that also make the next day miserable.

Given that this has been going on for 6 weeks, I am not convinced it is allergies anymore. The soonest I will be able to see my optometrist is in 4 weeks, and I fully intend on getting his opinion too, but for the time being I am just not so sure how I can handle another 4 weeks of this. Last night was one of those no-sleep all-night-attacks nights, and I feel like my quality of life has tanked. Thoughts or ideas on what to try? Thank you!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.