Struggling after Celexa dosage increase

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there! could someone potentially offer any advice here. about two months ago my doc increased my celexa from 10 mg to 20 mg. Thought it might help me sleep. I have been anxious, depressed, and even needed to call 988 a couple of times for assistance. Is it safe to stop taking this all together? Or cut tablets in half or something. I am very anxious about an upcoming dentist appointment, but my goodness it should not be this bad. 42 year old man sitting here sobbing

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there. This is common as far as side effects go. How long were you on 10mg? Yes you can cut the tablets....I do....I went from being on 10mg for a long time to 15mgs 5 weeks ago. Still getting side effects....also some of my anxiety symptoms are still present. My dr wants me to go to 20mg....Im just taking it slow.

• Posted

Hi there

increase usually brings side effects - increased anxiety, shaking, sweats and etc.

Its all normal, keep going, you will be ok

• Posted

hi there,

I definitely would not stop cold turkey, and as much as it sucks I would strongly encourage you to try and stick it out, youve already made it this far.

I know exactly what you're going through and I wouldnt wish the pain on anyone, but it does get better.

I'm curious tho, how long were you on 10mg before increasing to 20mg? And also have you asked your dr for an as needed anxiety medication like lorazepam or clonazepam to help you through the transition? Lorazepam has been a lifesaver for me and I couldnt have made it through without it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.