STRUGGLING SINCE MY CATARACT SURGERY MULTIFOCAL - IMPLANT EXCHANGE OR YAG/LASIK

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I don’t know if anyone could offer me advice.

I’m 27, I was born with congenital bilateral cataracts that affected my vision for a long time. My short and long distance vision was great however I had issues with contrast and light, sensitivity and tearing up.

In Dec 2023 I had cataract surgery and Zeiss toric multifocal lenses implanted for both eyes. From day 1 I’ve struggled with my near and long distance vision, very blurry vision, major halo and starbursts from any light. I’ve had major panic attacks over my vision and I’m mentally in a lot of stress.

I was told today I have developed mild PCO.

I will meet with my surgeon to discuss a possible implant exchange to monofocal iol lenses or laser to correct my vision and YAG for PCO.

I understand neuroadaptivity plays a large role in this however I just felt something was wrong from the beginning.

I’m looking for some advice if anyone has experience anything similar or had multifocal iol lense to monofocal?

I do not want any type of Lasik or YAG treatment as that can complicate implant exchange in the future...

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Have you had a refraction test where you get an eyeglass prescription to correct your distance vision? That will tell you if there has been a "miss" on the IOL power. Lasik or PRK are not going to help, unless there is a miss in refraction to correct. And it sounds like you know that doing a lens exchange is much more difficult to do after YAG, so if you want to do a lens exchange you want to do it first. And, while they are removing the IOL it may be possible to clean the PCO that has developed so YAG may not be necessary after exchange. But, since you are so young, it is still likely necessary at some point.

Here is a credible article to google on how to systematically determine what is the root cause of the visual issues. It would be worth reading carefully so you understand what the most likely cause is.

"Ophthalmology Times Troubleshooting post-presbyopia IOL complaints July 25, 2018 Daniel H. Chang, MD"

If a lens exchange is necessary I think basic monofocals are the best way to go. They can both be set for distance, or far, or one of each (mini-monovision). They are much less likely to cause visual disturbances.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.