Struggling to breath but no history of asthma. Is this the beginning?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everybody,

I am a 33 year old woman and I have had a chest infection for 2 weeks, on antibiotics...

My breathing was a little troublesome, which was normal for a chest infection, but over the last couple of days my breathing has become so very difficult I have been to casualty twice...

If I sit still and don't move or talk I am fine, but if I walk across the room, or try to have a conversation is such very hard hard work, I have to sit down panting away with my heart racing until I can catch my breath.  I was prescribed a Salbutamol inhaler which helps but only for a very short time, I am exceeding 30 puffs a day which is making me feel wooozzzy.  I was given 40mg of Prednisolone this morning and was wondering how long it takes to kick in??  I can't face another sleepness night wondering if I should call and ambulance or struggle on for a bit longer...

Is this the start of a lifetime of asthma for me, as it seems like a curse.  I do not smoke and i am slightly overweight.  The breathing is difficult blowing out as opposed to breathing in, like it is stuck in my lower throat.  My SATS were fine in hospital 95% o2 so wasn't having an 'attack' but it is so new to me.  Is it possible to have asthma temporarily?? Please help! sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I think the steroids kick in pretty fast but if you're struggling don't put it off, I used to do that a lot, felt like was being a pest for calling an ambulance but the longer you leave it the more likely it is to get worse.

Hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Thank you for your advice.. I'm ok now!!! x
  • Posted

Well, 12 hours after I took the 40mg of Prednisolone, they had started working!!!!!

Just in time for bed!!!!

What a relief to be able to lie down and not fighting for air anymore.  Will continue the course for the other 4 days.  I wish the hospital had given me these the first time I went in, i suppose they thought the antibiotics would work... anybody in my situation, needing help to breath and salbutamol not working (though not quite full-on asthma attack) - go straight for the hard stuff, they are magic!!

I hope this was a one off event, and do not have full-time ashma....??

Going to boost my fitness and lose a bit of weight just in case!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.