Struggling to keep weight off fracture ankle

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my ankle 6 weeks ago an due to have the cast off on 3rd October, however due to painful shoulders and elbows I've really struggled with the crutches and worry I've not kept my foot off the ground as much as I should , my ankle feels ok with just occasional twinges but think this is down to the cast , I'm so worried that the fracture hasn't healed as I'm desperate to get the cast off as I feel I've been in prison for weeks and need to get back to work as I'm not being paid, it seems all the forums I've read indicate that most people have no problems keeping the weight of their injured foot, has anyone got any experience of my situation? Hoping someone has some optimistic opinions , thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was lucky that I rented a "knee" scooter rather than having crutches.  I knew I wouldn't like using crutches and would have probably fallen only to have some other bone break.  I did learn however that I wouldn't have been using the crutches correctly without proper instructions.  I assumed my weight would be carried by the crutch under my arm and that would hurt.  I learned that was totally wrong and that it would have been my hands on the crutch cross piece that actually carried my weight.  The cast is a b*tch and I also felt like a prisoner......no driving etc.  But the cast does keep everything lined up for proper healing to occur.  I kept my foot and leg raised as much as possible.  In bed at night or in a recliner I always had a BIG pillow under my foot and I would wiggle my toes as much as possible when I remembered just to keep the blood circulating more.  I had a Jones fracture not a broken ankle and was in a non weight bearing cast for 4 weeks and was to go into a weight bearing cast for another 4 weeks.  An ankle break seems worse to me but I healed well (for being 69) and was able to go into a high walking boot for the last 4 weeks.  Best of luck on your follow up. 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response , to be honest can't wait to be normal again , X

• Posted

I hear ya!  I can't wait to be back to my MWF step aerobic exercise classes.  Still a bit scared of the step and falling off but I'm working up to step again.  When I could use my right foot and drive again I thought I died and went to heaven.  Good wishes your way! 

• Posted

I'm in London , didn't realise this site was global , excellent

• Posted

I've had my full cast removed 1 1/2 weeks ago and before that I was roughly in the same boat as you as to whether or not my ankle and leg had healed properly (I lost balance a few times and landed on my broken ankle/leg/cast) - as I was suppose to be non-weight bearing.

Like devsmom said that the cast does keep everything in place, so chances are that you'll be fine smile

• Posted

Thanks a lot , I'm so looking forward to getting cast off , it's been an absolute drag

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.