Struggling with revision now! Thought it was all too good to be true.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all - I was doing brilliantly after my revision on Oct 27th - until about 2 weeks ago, when I seem to have slipped backwards in a big way. I had a great bend & straighten, struggled with stairs, but had little pain, just stiffness. Now I have pain. Real pain. Also, I have developed pockets of what looks like fluid once again (had these the 1st time they did the primary TKR- however an aspiration back then proved no infection) - the bend is certainly diminuating as I now struggle to excercise. My husband thinks I may have overdone it, as I spend time on a static bike (turning it to make the pedals stiffer) as well as excercising & trying to be a normal human being. BUT - last night I resorted back to medication as I spent all night awake wondering where this pain has come from! I'm at 14+ weeks, & see the surgeon again at the end of March, & if this going backwards thing carries on - they'll be wheeling me in to see him in a wheelchair! I am concerned, as I was doing so very well. Revision TKR'ers - is this normal? (I ask myself if I will ever feel normal again).

Today I've decided to have a day off from excercising - it's too wet to walk outside, but I have walked around a supermarket & was desperate to come home & ice this swollen lump of a knee. Should I take a few days off - will it harm any progress? Any comminication gratefully recieved! - Veronica

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Like your husband, in think you are putting too muchvtension on the bike and sending the leg into trauma. Back off completely for a few days. Ice frequently and revert back to the elevating while resting. Increase your water consumption. I don't know where youvare but in my part of the world its cold, the furnace is running all the time and its sapping the humidity which affect the entire system. My good knee flaired up a couple of weeks ago and I had a steroid injection Friday.....ahh what a relief.I've rested it a couple of days and will get back to the heavy rehab tomorrow.
    • Posted

I'm in the UK - in Cornwall, extremely close to a raging sea  - it's VERY wet, wild & windy - like you the fire is on & very welcoming. Re the excercising - It has never felt like I was overdoing it, but I was "always on the go" in my old life pre TKR. Still to get on the floor & play with my grandchildren - now for over 15 months. Feel like the life I knew is over, yet I was so positive in the weeks following the revision. Guess for the 1st time since the revision, I am down.
  • Posted

hi veronica try not to panic !!,i know how you feel ,its been a long road and only the people with revisions  in a short space of time know how hard all this is on your body mentaly and physicaly its draining .!!!!!!!!!!!!.  i agree slow down abit and try to rest ,if you can manage to have a bath with a muscle relaxiant ,it would really help .im doing just that lately when my knee aches i sleep better after . turning the pedals stiffer is good but maybe just pedal at normal and not too long .go back to simple excersises you know them all at this stage ,let your moto for the next 2 wks be little and often . ice after any excersise and take meds for a few days  it wont go way back keep the faith x
  • Posted

I had TKR nearly four years ago. There were times when I felt In ws going backwards too. You are only 3 or 4 months post op so these are still quite early days. I did not have a revision.

Hopefully you will feel normal again in time.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you've hit the buffers for a while, Veronica.  These are such horrible operations.  OFG is always going to be your best guide regarding revisions, but we're all with you in spirit.

I know that the SW has had it really bad today...we had terrible wind last night...it felt like it was rolling in waves and reminded me of the '87 hurricane.  All we can do is try and keep warm...and do what exercise we can that feels comfortable.

Take care and try not to worry too much.  I really do understand what you mean about wanting to get our lives back though.

patsy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.