Submandibular Gland removal and tonsillectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello- I am having my submandibular gland removed due to a 10mm stone. I am also having my tonsils removed due to tonsil stones and a cyst growing on the left side. I am looking for any tips or tricks to help speed up my recovery. Also wondering if anyone out there has had these two procedures done at the same time.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had a submandibular salivary gland removed in May due to an 8 mm stone - it was a painful surgery - use the medications they give you to help - take a couple weeks to recover just taking it easy . I swelled at first but it went down after 2 weeks and just kept getting better . The Dr. did an excellent job on my surgery - it was worth it - best of luck to you !

• Posted

Hi- Thank you so much for your well wishes. I am scared to have the tonsillectomy done at the same time as the gland removal but I think its better than going under a 2nd time. I will be sure to follow all directions for my pain medication and took off 2 weeks from work. I am staying in the surgery center for a 23 hour observation after surgery so that should help keep me with hydration and pain. Do you have a pretty big scar?

• Posted

good idea to stay at surgi-center overnight , they will help you manage pain too - my scar is in a natural wrinkle line on lower neck , it has faded so much i don't even see it unless i really look . it looked bad at first but quickly healed .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.