Subtalar fusion recovery advice

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm currently 10 weeks post op. I've never been in a cast. I have always been in an air boot thing. My surgeon has been pushing me to be wait bearing since five weeks. I am just now starting to with a walker, and we have also found some nerve damage. And my surgeon does not recommend physical therapy for this surgery. Has anyone heard of  not having physical therapy after a surgery like this? When can I expect to walk?!

Thanks,

Amber

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I too was told that physical therapy wasn't necessary and that you basically need to walk lots to recover fully. I do have my doubts about this as although there's probably not much a therapist can do with the ankle and foot, I think it's a really good idea to have some kind of exercises to do to build up your strength generally and to improve your gait and posture. I've been seeing an osteopath. Whichever way though, it's a very long and slow recovery unfortunately. Good luck. 

• Posted

Oh I'm finding pysio is vital. There are some things I still can't do after 5 1/2 months but there is a lot I can do that I couldn't before pysio. I think listening to your own body is the key.i used standing weightbearing at 4 to about 6 weeks then  I walked with crutches until about 8/9 weerk. 10 weeks unaided full weight bearing walking like a zombi. I exersize a lot in tub of warm salty water. Helped heal the split  in incision. Only walk when you feel comfortable. It hurts a bit but shouldn't be agony. And are you wearing an Even Up Shoe when in boot 

• Posted

I am 4 weeks out from subtalor arthrodeisis with allograft, I am starting to get terribly painful jults from my heel to my toes. I am also numb from my heel to my toe along the back of my foot. The pain is so bad I can't bear it. No pain killer is helping. Is anyone else experiencing this?

• Edited

I am 4 weeks out from subtalor arthrodeisis with allograft. I am starting to receive a burning, shooting pain that goes from my heel to my toes. I am also numb from my heel to my toes. The pain is so unbearable a cry non stop. No painkiller is helping. I barely get sleep.

Has anyone else experienced this. What can you do to relieve it and how long does it last?

• Posted

Had to google what you had done and ouch i it looks like it would be hell..I broke tibia and fractured tibia 11 months ago and have plate and screws holding it together and cried with nerve pain on a regular basis. But to have those nails through the heal is cringeworthy. Have you told surgeon of the pain. I couldn’t take pain relief for long as had bad hives reaction so putting up with pain had me crying a lot. I’m pretty tough but these injuries are the worst. I’d imagine you still can’t soak in warm water yet because that was when I got a bit of relief. Thoughts are with you. 
    • Posted

Hi Jenni

I have seen your reply to Marla,  so how is your nerve pain now after 11 months ?

I am also dealing with unbearable nerve pain in the toes for the last 6 weeks and am 11 weeks from my ankle fusion, completely painfree in my ankle and am walking with one crutch in the house. 

• Edited

Hi I’m sorry your struggling this is a life altering injury and hope you have a great support system. My nerve damage is on insision site and still gives me a few hassles. Still get pain in ankle break and fracture. I had shooting pain like I was being tasered had my in tears. That’s stopped but it’s still twitchy and swells and bruises. Relief was marm water only. Can’t take medication due to allergic reaction. I had hives the size of a teacup top all over. Even in places I didn’t think I had, all in all it’s the most isolating injury I’ve ever had. But a very supportive husband who helped me set myself up for some independence.  I can’t stress enough how vital it is to walk with a level gait if in boot. The secondary injuries are huge with this.  S high Shoe or even up in super important. Good luck with your recovery. Jenni
    • Posted

Hi Jenni 

It’s actually life altering problem, I just take pain killers at night to get some sleep, but my struggle is through the day and I just tolerate it as long time use of painkillers have devastating affects,

I hope it ends soon and thank you. 

Best Regards 

Mo 

• Edited

You hold tight to. It does get better and you will find a new normal. I’m 61 now and age and occupation play a big part of how good that new normal is. I’m childcare worker so picking up babies at my age is not the optimum at 61 but still have 6 years before retirement get through every day and days off can’t come quick enough. Stay strong. There is a very good Facebook page called ankle injury and recovery. A great support.  
    • Edited

i also had terrible electric nerve shocks it felt like my foot was getting tased nonstop Relief came with 300 mg gabapentin i took it during the day at first, then only at night, then slowly stepped the dose down over the course of a month truly a lifesaver!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.