Sudden stopping of sertraline

Posted , 6 users are following.

I ran out of sertraline on Monday (lost my prescription) and didn't do anything about it. I've been on them for about 8 months.

Emotionally I feel fine, they made a world of difference to my life! I'm just worried now because I've read I shouldn't have just stopped? I am getting brain zaps and flue feelings as well as feeling tired (although I do also have a night owl toddler!!)

Someone reassure me the withdrawal effects will go away soon enough? Or should I go back to docs and withdraw slowly?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sam

These medications need time to get out of your system the amount of the drug and the time period of their tacking can make a sizeable withdrawal period. If not already you need to get some more medications next week as You will need a new script. If the chemist knows you well with your prescriptions they may lend

you medication, although if you are in a southern city I do not know ? 

Phone the reception on Tuesday Has your GP advised you to come of this drug.

BOB

• Posted

I wasn't intending to come off them but I lost my prescription and since I've been feeling great for a while now I thought I would just risk it. My withdraw symptoms are definitely present but I hoped I could just "get through it". Its the brain zaps that are most irritating... also intrigued to know what they actually are too?

That's for your reply, my husband is currently searching the entire house for them but as it's a bank holiday weekend (I'm in the UK) it won't be until Tuesday before I can speak to my doctor...

• Posted

Thanks* (not thats)
  • Posted

Personally I think you should withdraw a bit slower and give your body a chance to get used to doing without the drug.
  • Posted

I'd recommend withdrawing slowly. About fifteen years ago I stopped taking fluoxetine suddenly without reducing and started getting brain zaps. Went back on the fluoxitine to reduce slowly but to this very day the zaps have never fully disappeared and it's annoying. So yeah, head off to the doctors for a script and hopefully you'll be fine. 

• Posted

Oh booo, I was hoping the zaps would just dissappear, they are no fun sad

• Posted

Can you describe what you mean by "brain zaps" please. I think I have them, but I don't know if they are the same as you are having.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Pat x

• Posted

I actually heard it referred to as "brain zaps" on here first. It's like a fuzzy/electric shock feeling in my head, especially when I move my eyes side to side. Hope that explains it we'll enough?

• Posted

Hello sam, i think you should go back to doctors, i was on that evil fluoxitine, and was fine for two weeks and then i got really ill, had huge panic attack and ended up in hosp all night, i stopped them for two weeks and the withdrawels were horrible, i am now on mirtazipine, and am alright, though i do fear about getting a reaction to these like before, you know, once bitten twice shy, but hopefully they will work, go see your doctor, its best to do, goodluck. better than getting ill.
  • Posted

Hello! I've been on sertraline for years....and it is not advised to just stop them abruptly. I have stopped other antidepressants and the flu like symptoms, muscle aches, swimmy head, etc lasted about a week. I spent most of that time in bed because I was so dizzy. Wherever you get your prescription filled must have a computer record of it? We do here in the US. In any case, a call to your doc should solve the problem. Ever think that you had been feeling good BECAUSE of the meds? I think it's a concept we forget (I did) about smile Good luck with your decision, whether you decide to titrate down slowly or stay on your meds.

• Posted

Absolutely, I'm very conscious that the drug was making me feel good again, I'm watching for the signs of my depression returning (I was previously plagued by terrible thoughts and memories and crying at anything even slightly sad. My doc described me as "severely depressed"wink but so far I'm optimistic. Today is the first day the doctors and pharmacys are open from the bank holiday, so I will pop over this morning. I think it's time to come off sertraline but I want to slow it down, following every ones advice. 💞

• Posted

So I've not been able to get to the doctors (crazy busy and work) but I wanted to update everyone.

On Monday it will be two weeks since i suddenly stopped taking sertraline. I'm feeling so much better, the vertigo like feeling has gone and the brain zaps have reduced. The two symptoms that are still quite strong is my tiredness, no matter how much sleep I have, I still feel drained. My concentration and ability to think quickly are shot but I remember being amazed at how well I could concentrate after first taking sertraline and the difference it was making to my work was noticed by my unknowing work mates. Maybe I'm just me again?

My emotional state is incredible now! Ive been laughing so hard my eyes have watered. Being on Sertraline was fab because I never dipped to the terrible lows but the downside was that I never reached the highs either, it kind of neutralised me, which was ok, did/does anyone else get that?

I really hope I'm going to be ok but with Winter around the corner I'm being very self aware.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.