sudden upper abdominal pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been away on holiday for a week and towards the end I have started feeling sudden upper abdominal pains. It started after a night me and my friends went for a swim in the sea. I'm not too sure if that would have anything to do with it but it's worth mentioning just in case.

Basically, all of a sudden my upper abdominal would be struck with a hollow ache, no stitches, no cramps, no throbbing, stabbing etc, just really sensitive. If I touched where it was, it'd hurt. It almost felt like extreme hunger pains, like I was all bruised. After eating, my stomach would feel a bit better, but after swallowing it felt as though the bite was slowly falling down where it hurt but with a deep, long line of pain. 

I used to get problems with 'ibs' (I put that in quotation marks as it's not something I have had an issue with for years now) and it felt similar to that pain but without any bloating.

It got very uncomfortable and I spent car journeys hugging a jumper to put pressure on my tummy and feel a bit more comfy.

If this is just extreme hunger pains, then that's pretty funny more than worrying as I am known to be the person who will out-eat all the boys, so having to eat even more and more often will just kind of make me laugh a bit. 

I am very healthy food-wise, the reason I can out-eat everyone is because I indulge on wholesome, delicious vegetarian food, snacking on fruit and veg when everyone's eating junk food. While they eat crisps, I snack on bags of salad. I rarely touch anything processed, if I ever eat 'chocolate' it's usually vegan, out of preference. I just enjoy eating healthily so much. 

These pains are sort of familiar from ibs days but without the bloating. I used to be sensitive to wheat and dairy but those are rarely on my plate anymore.

Whilst on holiday we did drink a lot of alcohol, a week of binging on booze! I did notice that I drank a lot less water than usual too (usually 4l a day). Would this be dehydration at all?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sid, yes, i think it is not drinking enough water.
    • Posted

Now I'm back at home I've been drinking more water but the pains are still there. I'll monitor it for a bit and if it doesn't go away I'll have to reevaluate.

It hurts especially when I swallow

• Posted

Hi, Sid I suggest if you are havng problems swallowing seek advice from your gp. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.