Suffered from osteomyelitis 10 years back. Will walking, taking staircase,jogging make leg weak?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I suffered from osteomyelitis in 2007. Had surgery if my right leg below knee for same. It was healed. My question is will it tend to happen again in future? I do walk 45mins a day, take staircase till 6th floor twice in a day and 10 mins of jogging per day. Will this impact my leg or make it week. Please let me know if these will have any impact and whether I should take any precautions for same. Thanks in advance for your advice.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Pooja63232,

I can tell you in my case, I had osteomyelitis in my right tibia. I mainly used swimming for exercise during the first three to four years. But since then I have done quite a lot of longer distance running. I put on weight after my operation and with the medicine at the time, I think taking probiotics would have helped me in recovery. Perhaps starting with walking would be best to build up strength again, and perhaps if you can access a personal trainer  who can personalise some exercises to help rehabilitate the leg.

Moderation is the key. I did end up doing marathons but the extremity of the exercise had its own negative impacts (literally) on joints, especially on my right knee which I found remained weak after the illness.

I certainly wish you all the best in your recovery. Your specific case will be unique to you, so you will be the primary expert in what's right for you. Good luck and best wishes.

• Posted

Hi I had osteomyelitis about 16 years ago in my femur bone and get twinges now and again. Lately quite a lot of sort of little twinges although not really painful but I haven’t been to doctors as I think the more active I am.....I try to do minimum 10,000 steps a day and 20 mins light exercises and I think it’s more muscle annoyance as the muscle was cut into when I had my op to remove infection. If it gets actually painful I shall return to doctors and request an x ray just to be sure. Just my experience and you do need to exercise regularly without pain and to keep healthier in my opinion. X

• Posted

If you don't mind me asking, how did they determine you had osteomyelitis? What did they do to cure it?

• Posted

Hi

I first had x Ray they thought it was cancer but you would only get it as secondary in leg so then I had mri scan and had no cancer anywhere so then I went for biopsy in London to orthopaedic hospital who confirmed it. Luckily the doctor who had referred me recognised symptoms as he had it when young. I then was inpatient for a week cutting out infection then on antibiotics for about 6 weeks with a lovely long neat scar. To this day they could not explain how I got it as it’s rare in middle aged women with no health problems or treatments to explain the cause.  Tbh once I went to docs after first x Ray I had some tablets and it was never really as bad pain again as at first. As I was running at the time it was thought to be muscle strain but I knew it wasn’t. Hope this answers your question x

• Posted

Hi Milly, 

How long between surgery and the infection go? My surgery was 6 months ago on my big toe and had a joint replacement and it was good till 4 weeks ago when it randomly started swelling, painful, hot and couldn’t wear heels. It’s a littl over 4 weeks and he finally sent me for CT m. My whole left foot is different shades of blue and red. 

Can you have this infection for four weeks and be ok??? 

• Posted

Dear pooja63232

My dad was a doctor who told me that running/jogging was severely bad for the knees of those who have had surgery for osteomyelitis...... he told me to swim...... and walk.... avoid stairs as they too are hard on the knees and in my case hips...... I did not listen to the stairs part....... now my knees and hips are shot and I am not able to get surgery..... so be careful...... take the elevator..... walk 30 mins in comfortable shoes.... or my Dad made me walk on the sand at the beach..... on the water line.... also taught me about the Masi tribe in Africa...... they sell MBT shoes here in the USA..... I didn't like them...... rocker bottoms and I am too old..... lol....... check out the research on Masi Barefoot Technology shoes.......

will pray you always stay healthy!!!  take care.....Erela

• Posted

Hi , I would think any level of excercise could only be a good thing , but this would also more importantly depend on what level the osteomyelitis infection got to, I mean the precise area and what treatment you’ve had, I could imagine if you’ve had infected tissue and / or infected bone taken away I would say that your leg, particularly the area of infection would be weak, so in my opinion I would say light exercises would be a good thing which would hopefully help retain muscle volume giving that bit more strength to the affected limb, if you’re not having any further issues where this infection was and the treatment which you had was successful, I would say you should be ok to continue with the level of excercise to which you are already doing, but to get peace of mind I would speak with you’re gp and also perhaps a physiotherapist if you’ve not already done this as I’m sure they would / should have set a course of excercises for you to build up your confidence tc in relation to the treatment you had , in my case , being a below knee amputee, I do what I know I’m comfortable with and no more as I have muscle atrophy which has affected my remaining residual limb to a degree which I can no longer prevent, but with new prosthetics I’m hoping to ride a mountain bike and go for country walks in the near future , so keep smiling and be positive, you are the master of your own destiny and independence. 

Cheers. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.