Supraspinatus Tendon tear

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have been told that I have a partial supraspinatus tear and that it may require surgery to allow it to heal.

My doctor has referred me to a orthopaedic surgeon, but it may be a while before I get to see them.

I have two questions:

1. Recently I was on the bus standing and the bus came to a sudden stop. I braced and held onto the pole of the tightly with the arm with the tear. It really jolted me and it was lucky I had a good grip at the time otherwise I would have went flying. My shoulder and neck is sore right now, not terribly sore but it feels like it has a dull ache. Do you think this event may have possibly worsened my tear?

2. Can these tears heal on their own with appropriate exercises or aids? I would much rather avoid surgery .

Thank you for your help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi Tom

welcome to the club. did he say how bad the tear was ?.

like all of us now we have to manage our shoulders and risk assess every motion and position held by your shoulder.

you have to be so aware mentally of any action that can impact the tear, even down to picking up a cup of coffee.

with the soreness around the area. you dont realise how connected the shoulder is in and around. some muscles my be in spasm or just really angry compensating for the injury.

if a tendon is torn or freyed it will not repair its self. tendons have so little blood supply they dont repair. but it can be managed through physio and strengthening around the area to support the tear.

good luck in this, keep everyone up dated as we all seek information into healing.

colin

• Posted

hi Michelle

hows it going on the second frozen front. hope ya killing it and not letting it get to ya

yer right, your up all the time and is a real nasty one more like.

i am back to see the surgeon tuesday " again ". we have to talk options on the left shoulder again.

seems like i am headed back under the knife again. different year different injury !!!. too much lifting post operation has knackered the acromium and clavicle.

taken 1500 paracetamol and 90 codeine. shoulder is on fire with ache today. gone to bed and cuddling a pillow trying to distract the ache.

going to be a long night lol

C

• Edited

i have both shoulders with same issue... frozen shoulder... i have choosen not to have surgery and in the meantime i have been lucky they tend to calm down for awhile. and also have to watch what i do lifting.. certain positions will set them off. but when i do give them a long rest a month or so they really calm down and dont bother me at all. heat ice and rest... it really works.

i guess what i am trying to say if your willing to stop using the shoulders long enough for them to heal its a better solution for me in the long run. its been 10 years.. i have not read any good studies after surgery - replacement or repair . surgery is not a solid fix or pain free . it just seems to complicate the pain and issue. most patients expect to be pain free after surgery. that is not the case . in most cases surgery makes it worse. in my experience once the injury is there regardless of surgery or not it's how we cope with the injury allow healing and cope with the result managing and understaning our new limitations.

• Posted

there you go Tom

you have to be very mindful of the injury. like barb, looby and piper we have evolved and it is second nature for us to preserve our injury at any cost.

A lady in the office was out running and fell forward partial tearing her Supraspinatus tendon. as she had a desk job it was managed with physio and exercise and she is fine.

with me i have a very heavy strenuous job and i just cannot heal properly. talk to the ortho surgeon but be mindful. a dress maker will want to make clothes a lorry driver loves driving . the surgeon all he knows is getting inside of you for a rummage.

google and learn about what you have and how to protect the injury. EG : prp ( platelet enriched plasma), hyaluronic acid collagen injections can all help to strengthen the tendon.

i have opened pandora's box and had operations and barb is right. it does not mean its a fix and you are pain free. it has cost me 8 months recovery off work post op and £20k just on surgeries

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.