Surgery after surgery...what's the next step?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi there. 

This is my 1st post, so id like to introduce myself! 

I'm Louise, I'm 31 and I've got an anal fistular! Ok there's a lot more to me than that, but at the moment, I feel like that's all I have going on. 

My journey started June 2013 with an abscess that is less than inch from my rectum that went septic. I had it drained. (Op 1)

I then started getting a bit of pain from that area, and was leaking fluid, so in January went back to my GP who referred me to a colo-rectal doc. I had private healthcare by this stage, so used it. I had an MRI scan that showed that I had a high fistular (over the top of my left sphincter muscle), so was warned it was going to be a long road to recovery I had an op to insert a seton so we're now on op 2). A few weeks later I was in lots of pain, so had another op to see what was going on (op 3). It was a pocket of infection, so had that drained. 

We then spoke about how we'd sort it, so booked in for surgery for end of September (op 4). I had a plug put in, which my surgeon told me was the best option, but even that only had 40% chance of working. 3 days later, I was immense pain so got rushed into A&E, and as it turns out, the plug hadn't  worked, I had a huge infection and they had to remove the plug (op 5) and put another seton back in. 

So this was last Monday! I'm now recovering and thinking 'what the hell else can I put my poor bum through?' 

What's next?? 

Any words of encouragement that one day I may have a normal life, that my bum will feel normal again, that I'll eventually stop leaking pus out of my bum, and just go back to normality???

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI ,  ME TOO I  HAD HAVE SHPINCTEROTOMY WITH 3 SKIN TAG REMOVAL AND AFTER 11 DAYS I DEVELOPED A FISTULA THEN LAST TUESDAY I HAD A FISTULOTOMY. TODAY 5 DAYS BUT I STIL HAVE PAIN GOING TO THE BATHROOM  AND VERY DEFFICULT TO CLEAN AS I DONT WANT OTHER INFECTION , ANY ADVICE PLEAESE ??
  • Posted

Hope your doing good, your post is a year ago and was curious on how you are doing. Your journey sounds just like mine, but instead of getting a plug to close the fistual. I did the LIFT procedure. Not sure if you have heard of this or not. I just had the operation a week ago and keeping my fingers crossed this will be my final surgery. If this fails I will have to do the next surgery which is called the FLAP procedure. I would love to chat with you and see how you are?

Jaime

• Posted

How did you keep the area not infected with a seton placement? I've had 15 surgeries and now I can't get it to stay not infected.thx

Jeff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.