Surgery coming

Posted , 5 users are following.

ive had my cyst for 14 years. I was originally told it would eventually go away by my late 30s. I'm now 40 and I am totally fed up. I have surgery in 4 days. I am totally confused how there is so much difference between healing times and pain management. Every doctor and website is different. I realize we all heal differently but wow this is incredible. Seems like pain will last two weeks and healing is between 4 weeks to 6 months. I drive 15 hours a week to and from work and sit at a desk or flights Monday to Friday. Seems like this is really going to impose on my life.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I agree, there's definitely very little helpful information about pilonidal cysts available. I think the timeframe varies so much because a) as you said; everyone heals differently but also because each cyst is different, they seem to grow at different rates and depths and there are a variety of methods to operate on them which will also have various different healing times. Mine was cut, drained, cleaned and stitched six months ago. It came back immediately and that's given me more issues as the area isn't able to heal properly. Lots of people have theirs sorted out and have no further issues. I can't recommend a coccyx cushion highly enough, particularly as you will be seated so much. I don't go anywhere without mine now, it's been brilliant.

• Posted

Thanks for posting. I have 2 questions. How was your sleep from right after the surgery and when did it get better? Two, how bad was the pain?
    • Posted

I had trouble getting comfortable the first night but slept on my side with a pillow behind me to stop me rolling over from the second night onwards which really helped, I didn't really have trouble sleeping after that. The pain is not as horrific as you'd think. Yes, it hurts but it's not excruciating...you've had your cyst for 14 years so I expect you too have had some pretty severe flare ups...I have definitely had flare ups far worse than the pain after surgery! I honestly expected horrific pain but it was completely manageable.

• Posted

I slept okay, they gave me oxy which I took like clock work for 3 days. I stopped only because I wanted to see what my pain was like. And I wasn't in pain. I slept on my side. Get some maxi pads/sanitary napkins for discharge. I used gauze, but really the napkins did the most benefit. I had discharge for a month pretty much.  I got a minor infection but it passed. The baths really help a lot. As for pain, I did fine with it. Problem with pain killers are they cause constipation which isn't good.

• Posted

Hello, I had my surgery done at the beginning of February and at the moment I'm doing everything that I could before ( other than when it would flare up on the course) I have basically completely healed and I don't have any issues at all. People do heal differently, but you definitely want to take it easy for at least a month after surgery. I found it difficult to sit comfortably for probably a month So with you driving for that long and setting I could see it being an issue ... To anyone who is looking into surgery I have to say I definitely recommend it if you guys have the same experience as me which I know won't happen in all cases. This thing sucks and I definitely have sympathy for anybody who goes through this.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hello, I'm currently waiting for surgery which will be in about 5-7 weeks. When having my consultation the surgeon said the infection is very severe and means they will have to cut a lot of infected tissue out. How long do you think I'll be in hospital afterwards, everything on the internet says you come out the same day but the surgeon said I could be there for 2-3 days

• Posted

I just had surgery Wednesday last week 10/05/17 I was so scared and reading horror stories on these forums , I have been suffering for more than 10 years and got taken in emergency as it was so big , I have got to admit as strange as it sounds it was pleasant , surgery went well , I have an open wound so require daily visits to be packed and dressed but can honestly say I have no pain at all just some discomfort when sitting I was in on a day case done under a general and walking around the same eve ( I was more comfortable upright ) !! Don't worry too much get yourself sorted it's better in the long run . I take no pain meds at all only a ibuprofen 30 min before having my dressing changes as this is uncomfortable but NOT painful . Every case is different and there seem to be only bad stories on here . Good luck hope yours goes as well as mine

• Posted

Me too, had mine done 18/5/17 however I was originally stitched, unfortunately area became infected, had antibiotics for a week, infection healed however one by one my stitches over the last two weeks have had to be removed as none held together, therefore wound opened up and now I've been packed since the 30/5/17... however as you say there is no pain, just discomfort when packing! Like a lot of people I take paracetamol an hour before packing! Not painful just discomfort! Can't sit down yet though, but that's also advice by my surgery and consultant

• Posted

its June now and I feel pretty good, sitting on hard surfaces is still uncomfortable. Surgeon said I can swim now and go in the hot tub. Just need to get the hair in that area laser hair removed.
    • Posted

every surgeon and hospital is different. I was discharged the same day. Manage the pain with pills. If you're not in pain, don't take pain meds, if you do take stool softeners. The sitz baths are very soothing. You sit in a bowl that goes on the toilet with epsin salts. 

• Posted

I just had surgery Wednesday last week 10/05/17 I was so scared and reading horror stories on these forums , I have been suffering for more than 10 years and got taken in emergency as it was so big , I have got to admit as strange as it sounds it was pleasant , surgery went well , I have an open wound so require daily visits to be packed and dressed but can honestly say I have no pain at all just some discomfort when sitting I was in on a day case done under a general and walking around the same eve ( I was more comfortable upright ) !! Don't worry too much get yourself sorted it's better in the long run . I take no pain meds at all only a ibuprofen 30 min before having my dressing changes as this is uncomfortable but NOT painful . Every case is different and there seem to be only bad stories on here . Good luck hope yours goes as well as mine

• Posted

I had mine stitched. It's June now and I'm completely healed. I didn't have pain either. I took the oxycodene because they told me to. I spaced them out to see if there was pain, and I was fine. I later in my side, had my baths, taped gauze to my butt crack and had a sanitary napkin in my underwear. The discharge lasted about a month. No real infections. I can swim now and go in the hot tub.  Just need to get laser hair removal to reduce chance of it reoccurring.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.