Surgery to eliminate sever tinnitus and ear pressure

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I have been having manageable tinnitus for the last 3 decades cause by noise exposure. Around October 22 my tinnitus became worse with slight pressure on my right ear. By first week of January 23 I saw an ENT Dr in St Michael hospital in Bristol. He refused to send me for MRI ( cost NHS money). A week later I provided him with a privately done MRI which showed inflammation in my right ear. He still refused to investigate the problem. My ear symptoms gradually developed to higher levels of tinnitus and pressure in my right ear plus very mild sickness feeling and dizziness. Seeking private medical help outside the UK, I was diagnosed with Menier’s disease and prescribed medication including 6 inner ear injections which I had 4 done before my fly back to the UK on 15 May. Since then I have been fighting to get an appointment to see an ENT consultant to complete the injections course. My tinnitus and ear pressure is becoming unbearable.

I’ll be grateful to know if anyone had surgery due to the severity of tinnitus and ear pressure, and these symptoms have been eliminated ?

Thanks, M. Martin

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello M.Martin

I also have Meniere's and I can understand what you are going through. I have not had surgery but I have recently had an appointment with my new ENT ( I do not live in the UK) and I feel more hopeful than with the last one.

I was on betahistine but I am intolerant. I have several heart issues from childhood and recently. I am on a new medication called Acetazolamide, It has helped me with that horrible ear pressure and the tinnitus seems to have eased off. I will have to see how my vertigo episodes are affected though. But I am quite happy having that ear pressure relieved. This medication is a type of diuretic and my ENT has also given me Potassium to balance it out because diuretics deplete potassium in the body. The only downside with this medication is the fatigue that I feel. It can be debilitating, but I would feel like this anyway. I do feel a difference though. I hope someone can answer your question about the surgery, it's always good to have other's opinions. Have you seen your GP, they may help.

Good Luck and I hope you get an appointment soon.

Take care, Ana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.