SVT and Indigestion

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had SVT for 20+ years.  Have taken beta blocker Sotalol for all of that time but still have occasional episodes.  Invariably I get indigestion (burping) at the same time as an episode.  I have read that the two symptoms may be connected and could be related to the Vagus Nerve.  Does anyone know anything about this.  I am seeing (hopefully) the cardiology department at the local hospital on Tuesday and wonder whether I dare raise this possibility.  However if there is a problem with the Vagus Nerve I wonder if anything can be done?  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think they the brrping and SVTs are somehow connected and so glad to hear I'm not the only one with this idea. I was just diagnosed with  SVT a few weeks ago.  It began with a pain that felt like trapped gas under my left ribs that has not gone away.  I have had several SVTs since then and have been burping more than I ever have. There is also a lot of gurgling/gas noise in my stomach and under my left ribs. I feel the two are connected, but my doctors thought such a connection was not likely. 

• Posted

Hi Therese.  I first read about the connection between SVT and trapped wind years ago when Dr James le Fanu who used to write for the Telegraph mentioned it.  Apparently both trapped wind and palpatations must somehow involve the Vagus Nerve.  I am definitely going to raise this at my appointment.  I have mentioned it previously to GPs but nobody took any notice I don't suppose anyone will listen this time either.  I try to eat very slowly now and resort to Rennies and or soda water if I get a lot of wind.  Practically everything seems to cause excess wind but you might want to make note of when you are particularly affected and avoid that food.  I will let you know how I get on with the cardiology department who have not seen me since I was first diagnosed.  

• Posted

I have had SVT periodically for 6 years. It has become more frequent and for some time now is always associated with embarrassing and prolonged burping which I never experience at any other time. I am sure the two symptoms must be linked and will be raising this with the cardiologist in July (2 months). I also experience some hiccups and chest discomfort but no pain.

A small operation has been proposed but I feel I must be sure of the cause/causes before going under the knife.                                                         

• Posted

Hi Edward, as I have mentioned some months ago my SVT is always accompanied (or should it be the other way round) by windy indigestion.  In fact having excess wind (burping) makes me feel unwell in other ways too (no pain) i.e. lightheaded, giddy, feeling I don't have enough oxygen getting to my brain!  No body is interested, neither the cardiologist or my GP.  I know I am overweight and probably have a hiatus hernia and get a lot of acid reflux but I don't want to ask for any investigations in this regard.  I just keep taking my Bisoprolol and indigestion tablets!  Will be interested to hear what your cardiologist has to say about the connectiofn between SVT and burping - there is one I'm sure.  My SVT is not bad enough to warrant an ablation so I can't really comment and don't know what I would do if it was offered.  I suppose it depends how worrying you find the SVT and if it disrupts your life.  Hope you find some resolution.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Me again, I should have said that the Sotalol I had taken for 20+ years was changed to Bisoprolol last year as the cardiologist said he doesn't like Sotalol.  Can't say I've noticed any difference.

• Posted

Cardio always ignores the gut issues causing it- they just want to do an ablation

• Edited

definitely related to gastro intestinal issues. Also when bending over or looking down wrong...

touches a nerve in the stomach/abdomen

vagal nerve related.

been dealing with this for years

Good quality sodium, magnesium, potassium electrolytes helps some but it rally is the physical movement that triggers mine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.