SVT-Help!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with an SVT my resting heartrate is high and therefore when I do anything my heartrate sores to 225 beats, after some time this palpatations will go but the pains I get are immense. I've been placed on beta blockers and there is no improvement as yet. I keep getting more tired & drained from the pains and the attacks I get are frequent (around 3/4 daily), does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

I'm only 26 and it scares my friends when I rapidly deteriorate or collapse, also I'm allergic to Codine & Asprin which doesn't help this condition. I'm feeling lost and alone and so tired.....I keep very fit and don't have caffine or alcohol, any suggestions/help/support ideas would be appriciated.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I put up with SVT for many years until it started to get out of hand (as yours seems to be) Two years ago I had an ablation, quick, painless and does the job. Speak to your doctor about it, I am suprised they have not already suggested it!

Good luck.

• Posted

Thankyou fopr that, I've asked about this my doctor said to wait a short while to see if the beta blockers make any difference, I'll ask again. It's certainly not a nice feeling or experience.
    • Posted

I have tried Beta blockers and they give me deja-vu. This is not nice as your whole brain gets shocked.
  • Posted

[quote:961c49c017=\"Marcia\"]I put up with SVT for many years until it started to get out of hand (as yours seems to be) Two years ago I had an ablation, quick, painless and does the job. Speak to your doctor about it, I am suprised they have not already suggested it!

Good luck.[/quote:961c49c017]

• Posted

I have had this condition for nearly 30 years and have gone over various treatment options with doctors and was told that there is more risk to my health from the medication/operation available than the actual condition. I, therefore, don't take any medication. To manage my condition I find STANDING ON MY HEAD sorts me out. I discovered this 'cure' by accident and, as I have got older, need the assistance of my husband to support my legs but heart rate goes back to normal within seconds. Try this and see if it works for you, but make sure that you have someone with you, just in case!
  • Posted

what do you mean by more risk from drugs? as i am finding i cant tolerate beta blockers and am also now risking not taking any and hope for the best. will try the head stand!
  • Posted

i am 43 now i had SVT since i was 32 when my hubby passed away he was the same age as me, the docs could not find out wot was wrong with me and said it was just panic attacks then i was put on atenolol the doc kept putting it up then in the end got the op done not nice who said it was painless on here mind you different people different types of SVT for some it mite be painless but mine was not anyway got through the op and had the odd heart flutter for a few seconds over the yrs got the op in 2004 now well its seems the heart flutters are getting worse i have been told i am not alone there are other people where i live with the same problem but i feel alone. I dont want to die young i have two young kids aged 5 and 6 i feel like i am a bad mum i cant do most things with them and would love to as exercise mite bring on an attack i am over weight which done help as well so i have been told by the doc. i was on 50mg of atenolol but cause i have a side effect ie find it hard to breath at times i have been put down to 25mg to come off them but feel that 25mg is working for me he wants me on some other pill not a beta blocker that can cause heart block had a small heart flutter at 4am so dont want to go to sleep but i know i have to this sis a good site it lets me know that i am not alone with this problem i find deep breathing helps just now but wonder how long thats going to last.
  • Posted

Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with svt. I have been having mild attacks for about a year but did not know what it was. Thumping heart, breathless, light headed, go very white and feel woozy. They lasted around 1-2 minutes, initially just about once a month so I just ignored them at first. Then I started having them daily, once while driving, which scared me to going to the doctors. I had an ecg which came back abnormal so was referred to a cardiologist. Then just the other day I suffered from an extremely severe attack. The pain in my chest, back and head was immense due to the speed of my heart rate. I fell to the ground (just about remained conscious) and I went ghostly white. After about 5 minutes of immense pain it passed after I was sick. But unfortunately about 5 minutes later it happened again. This pattern repeated over and over again, I thought I was having a heart attack (as at this point I had not been diagnosed). I called for an ambulance who took me to Wythenshaw hospital. By the time I got to hospital they had stopped but I had I think 12 or 13 attacks in the space of 4 hours. They found evidence of a cardiac trauma due to some enzymes they found in my blood. They admitted me straight away for testing overnight and i had my diagnosis the next day. I am out of hospital now and on beta blockers. I have not had an "attack" since but just climbing the stairs causes my heart rate to rocket to around 200 bpm which causes chest tightness and I get breathless. Due to the severity of my attacks catheter ablation has been recommended to me by my cardiologist. I just wanted to do some research first as this condition seems to have affected me badly very quickly and I haven't quite got my head around it yet or understand it much. At the same time I am petrified I will have a bunch of severe attacks one after the other again. Any advice at all would be much appreciated. Thanks
  • Posted

you poor thing- that was very similar to my experience last march when diagnosed as VT- i had a week in hospital to get the rate down to normal range- now on bisoprolol- and tho it has side effects its better than the constant adrenaline and heart rate rises. mine was brought on by stress as my daughter became epileptic and i have heard it can be brought on by stress so i try and meditate and walk etc to keep calm. i have not been offered the ablation as am going for medical cure first- will review in march but seems to be helping. you dont say how old you are but mine came on with the menopause which seems to be common too and can be temporary- fingers crossed. all the best for you, dont worry - the medics are brilliant and join the BHF they are so helpful.
  • Posted

Thanks for your help. I am 26 and my bad ones started literally by (I think) standing up too quickly. At that paticular time I was not stressed at all. Though I am stressed now after what happened. I am giving the beta blockers a go but so far they are not helping with my heart rate. Before my 'bad day' my heart rate would go high but not as high or as easily as it does now past hospitalization. I have not felt well enough to go back to work yet and its frustrating that I have no idea when I will be able to. Just struggling to get my head round it basically. Im googling BHF now

Thanks again smile

• Posted

gosh thats bad luck being so young, its a shame that the b blockers arent getting the rate down- i was advised to keep the stress levels down and keep caffeine and alcohol intake right down, but other than that they dont seem to know much about what brings SVT on except its a nerve thing so that makes sense to calm down as much as poss, all the best.
  • Posted

I have had SVT most of my life and have tried all the methods to rest the heart to normal.

The latest and best I have found is lying down on my stomach, on the floor/carpet (not bed), for 10 - fifteen minutes then slowly get up and sit down in armchair, and then I take my pulse at the wrist and it is usually reset to about 74 b.p.m.

• Posted

Ok this my latest and best solution to reset the heart.... I sit in an armchair, relax and hold my right thumb against the right nostril while I breath in slowly through the left nostril, then press my forefinger on the left nostril while I breath out slowly through the right nostril etc etc, slowly for about 3 - 5 minutes. This is a simple yoga technique

that really worked for me. Try it and see for your self.

Cheers and good health! davejey

• Posted

I am 30 year old male. Five days ago around 11:35pm I was sleeping when suddenly felt shortness of breath and very fast heartbeat. It was like I was like holding my heart in the hands. I very slowly got up from the bed knowing nothing what to do. During this time I felt numbness in my left hand and leg with cold sweating on chest. My dad took me to hospital right away giving me asprin. When I reached the hospital I was taken to emergency where ecg was done. I was diagnosed SVT. Two injection were given at the interval of five minutes. I was released next morning with an advice to get VST R&F procedure as soon as possible. Later I went to another doctor who said you are too young  for this. You should first take Lipigate and when go for the CTScan angiography. I was given tablet early in the morning to control my heart rate around 68pm but my beat remained at 80. They give me again 100mg tablet to bring down the heart rate but again nothing happened so the test was cancelled.

I’ve been advised by the doctor to bring down my calistrol level which is too high according to him and start having walk for at least 45min daily.

Now I feel abit improvements but still my pulse is around 78-80 and I am doing no heavy work and trying to avoid depression and  taking walk but still I feel heaviness on the left side in the arm, fast heart beat when doing some load work, strange pain in the thumb and pull in the throat. Doctor said get your self checked by the pulmonologist.

My new plan is to get another opinion by another doctor this week.

WHAT I’M WORRING!!

The doctor said that there are two wires (nerves). In the procedure they are going to burn one nerve but there are chances that the other nerve will also get effected and if this happens than they have to put artificial pacemaker in me. L

• Posted

I have had mild SVT since I was a teenager and I am also allergic to codeine. I am planning on getting the ablation surgery in the next few years because my heartrate is now a constant 99 bpm at rest and I to me it feels normal at that pace. I am very healthy but this condition does not allow me to run or mildly exert myself. So just because a condition is non-life threatening and currently for me doesn't require medication doesn't mean it isn't life altering. This condition adversly affects my life and has done so for way too long. Just ask me how difficult it is to lose weight when you can't exercise. The answer is that it takes 3 times as long with 10 times more tears. And then ask me how easy it is to gain weight when you are constantly trying to avoid the next palpitation episode. Like you I am very sensitive to medication and I just can't see the point of medicating myself for the rest of my life vs a surgery. An ablation would help me regain control of my life and I would be able to do so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.