SVT is so draining

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 19 and I was diagnosed with SVT, its emotionally and frustrating. I have an ablation scheduled for November,3rd. Living with SVT is still scary to me although my doctors constantly telling me it's not deadly. I was on verapamil for about two weeks and 4 days it indeed slowed my heart rate down but the symptoms did not go away (what I personally felt it may work for others perfectly). I went to my ablation appointment and he told me to stop my medication since it wasn't helping. I feel tired and as though its difficult to breath its an annoying battle with myself. I even went to the hospital where they drew blood and it came back fine thank God and informed me it was a panic attack. Its hard trying to keep calm. I feel like my heart rate it really slow but my cardiologist told my its perfectly normal and told me even athlete have low heart rates in the 40's. Is anybody out there that's experiencing what I'm experiencing or have, that can help me please. I know I'm not dying but I'll feel better hearing what other's experiences are

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

i have had SVT since I was about 13, I'm 24 now, went through an awful battle getting it diagnosed as they kept blaming it on anxiety but eventually I got it controlled with atenolol. I feel a big part of what set mine off may have been a house I lived in which had hidden mould due to leaks. I've since found that when symptoms are bad a footbath of Epsom salt helps in a big way (because of the magnesium). I've started keeping a list of what I find helps as it can be easy to forget. It's not the most mentioned symptom but i find it really scary and it freaks me out when my heart feels so slow too! Hope I've been of some encouragement! 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I understand completely. I don't like the feeling at all. I feel like the medicine cause the PAC. I stopped the medicine this Monday but I still feel my heart go slow. I honestly don't even think it was ever anxiety or panic attacks I feel as though it turned into that not knowing what's wrong with me. The closer I get to November 3rd the more anxious I get and the more I feel the SVT & PAC. Have you thought of an ablation? Also did you feel "crazy" when doctors tell you you're heart is fine and nothing is wrong. I did till I had an episode of SVT but even then they told me I was fine. I feel like everything is coming down on me sometimes. I also hope you've found peace with it because I know it's an extremely difficult battle to face

• Posted

I was diagnosed with SVT about 10 years ago. I've only had a few episodes during the first several years, but since 2012 I've noticed I'm more aware of my heartrate. Whenever it beats more than 90-100 beats per minute, I have shortness of breath. SVT has made me more anxious and I have symptoms of feeling lightheaded. I currently don't take medications because I'm scared of the side effects. Whenever I do get a SVT attack, I just rest and splash my face with ice water. This usually helps. I had to go to the ER just once when my heartrate went up to 215 beats. I was given adenosine by IV to lower my heartrate. I hope your ablation works for you so you don't have to worry about getting SVT attacks anymore!

• Posted

Thank you I don't want any more symptoms nor do I want any attacks. Do you still have episodes or are they gone?. I often get really tired randomly its so stressful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.