swelling!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey guys, I'm one week post op and have realised today I've started to get swelling around my ankle and it seems really puffy. I know swelling is normal but I didn't have this a few days ago so I'm worried I've been over doing it? Is it normal for swelling to appear a week after or have I just been doing too much walking on it?

maybe a silly question but just a little worried, thanks guys!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was swollen from my stomach all the way down to my week for nearly 7 weeks x
  • Posted

Oh the joy of fat ankles !! Still get them now 6 months later , it is very annoying but part of the whole hippie experience😏 .
  • Posted

Ice ankle and do ankle & legs bed exercises stay off it for a few days. Take anti inflammatories . Keep it up slightly higher than ur heart. If this does not show improvement call ur dr.

sometimes it could be from struggling to get up and down from bed from stress on the joint o could be something a the dr may need to see.

i know my ankle was so sore after surgery trying to walk all the required movements and pushing to move it all takes a toll somewhere . I don't know why it swollen so  took it slowly as long as it didn't continue to swell  was ok.

hope ur better soon. Take care 

• Posted

I think once we start sitting and standing gravity forces the swelling to pool at the lowest point. So it all becomes a balancing act between activity and exercise to keep the circulation strong and elevation and ice (10 min on 20 min off) to manage the swelling. You might try angling and propping your foot up slightly when sitting (small stool or a box of beer 😊😊) work well. I hope that the rest of your recovery goes well.

L

• Posted

I had exactly the same thing happen. It alarmed me as well so much that I went to emerge. The triage nurse was great. She let me know this is completely normal and to watch for the bruising to appear. She was completely right and nothing lasted over a week.
  • Posted

Do not panic. I had swelling lower leg. About the same time!  It will go keep walking heel to toe and raise legs when resting. Ice packs too I bought two from Amazon ?2.99 each. Invaluable!

You are doing great. Healing fairy dust on its way!  🌟💫

• Posted

As long as there's no pain, or redness. Keep elevated and ice it. Keep eye out tho. Best of luck for a speedy recovery!

• Posted

I am still experiencing a swollen ankle after 6 months. I think mine is from an old injury. Just be careful and take it easy for a time. Elevate and ice makes it easier.

Brenda C

• Posted

Hi crawfyx....Yes, that is about when my swelling began. My ankle was so huge it felt like my skin would burst. Try not to be on it to much while swollen. Elevate and ice will help. I noticed for me the more I was on it the worse the swelling. My PT also told me to try to moderate, do the exercises but watch being on feet to much and also sitting up to much. Hope this helps, and wishing you well....Barb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.