swelling still there after 4 weeks post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 4 weeks post op for my 2nd thr surgery, and still have some swelling and tightness in my leg bee

elow the knee

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This can be fairly usual for several more weeks given the trauma of this operation and the manipulation of the limb and muscles and other connective tissues. The muscles, tendons and ligaments get pushed around, stretched and in some cases cut and it is these tissues needed to keep the new 'equipment' in place!.

If you are really concerned, see your GP and/or physiotherapist for advice.

Having said that, I was also taken aback by the level and duration of swelling (esp around the knee and at the ankles). Here are a few thoughts and general advice that worked for me. First, check with your physiotherapist in case your IT band is strained (runs along your leg from the hip to below the knee). If tight (common problem for hippies) it will be very painful and can cause swelling along it and behind your knee and make it near impossible to fully straighten your legj. Best remedies included using a special roller rod to apply pressure along it to break down scar tissue that accumulates. It takes lots of repeats daily for 5-10 days to resolve so be patient. Try heating the area beforehand to loosen the tissue and icing after to keep swelling in check (5 min on and 20 off as always).

If you Google exercises for pre and post thr, you will find several excellent videos with great exercises for this and other related problems.

Don't get too discouraged and be patient (I couldn't bring myself to watch a video clip of the actual surgery but (I am told) it really gives one pause and help us understand how brutal it actually is. So ... be gentle with yourself as others remind me regularly.

PS - I am 5 months post posterior THR on left hip and headed for one on my right in 6 weeks. Doing pretty well but if I skip my daily exercises for adductors and glutes, I really feel it the next day ... otherwise I have resumed most activities although my right hip limits me more than I would like.

Take care and good luck.

L

• Posted

Make sure you do not have calf pain.Have someone squeeze your big toe until it looks white,then release it.It should pink up within 3 seconds.If not there could be something actively slowing circulation down.Get checked right away.Are you wearing compression stockings.I just bought some ,paid 3 dollars.Wore them to work yesterday .Im just 9 weeks,do a lot of walking on my job and got these socks.Did you get a hip kit?They have that thing to help slide on your sock and I used that to get the compression socks on.First time I ever used them and I did not have that swollen edematous ankles after work.Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Super tips Msky. Thanks for sharing these. Take care,

L

• Posted

Hi Ricdon:

I know for myself I still had swelling on and off at 4 weeks. I am now almost 10 weeks and it is mostly gone but if I do overdo it some I may notice a little swelling still....Barb

• Posted

Thans all for your input. Makes me realize that there are more in the same boat as me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.