Switching from Amitriptyline to Escitalopram

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

I've heard that tapering off Amitriptyline might lead to various withdrawal symptoms. I've been taking Amitriptyline at 75 mg for about a year and a half, but my psychiatrist believes it's time for a change as it's no longer effective. The plan is to start Escitalopram at 2.5 mg for 3 days, then increase to 5 mg for a week, and finally reach the therapeutic dose of 10 mg. This will coincide with gradually reducing Amitriptyline by 10 mg every 3 weeks. My psychiatrist mentioned that adding Escitalopram might help manage the withdrawal symptoms. Has anyone here switched from Amitriptyline to another antidepressant? If so, would you be willing to share your experience?

Thank you

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.