Switching from Prozac to Lexapro?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive been struggling with anxiety, crying spells etc and the prozac isnt doing the job. Has anyone had success on lexapro that didnt on prozac?

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

• Edited

hi ive just gone over from fluoxetine to lexapro .

i had been on fluexitine a few times for anxiety and depression, started again over 3 months ago and the side effects was horrible, ive just gone straight onto lexapro only going on to day 4 not one side effect so far. Every time i go on a ssri my anxiety goes really high straight away but not on this.

I have spoken to a few people and most seeing results from two weeks and 4 weeks nearly 100%

• Posted

did u have any success on fluox? ive had some relief but 9 months in still have horrible times. hope your anxiety stays low.

• Posted

yes i did previously and i was on it a long time but it always took time to work. what dose are you on and have you been better in the 9 months

• Posted

ive been on it a total of about a year. 30 mg 9 months... the past 9 weeks ... 40 mg. Dying to get better

• Posted

thats the problem with fluoxetine when you up the dose its like starting again and you go through all the side effects then wait weeks and weeks to see if it will work.

im not telling you what to do but if you havent had any improvement in 9 weeks on 40mg then you either go up or change. If it was me i would try lexapro , ive been unwell since july and had enough and just want to get better like yourself.

• Posted

yes its brutal. let me know how you do on the lexapro

• Posted

yes no worries , are you going to stay on prozac for longer

• Posted

i left a message for my dr. He wants to me add deplin for a little bit.. have u ever tried that?

• Posted

no not that, i added mirtazipine fir 6 weeks and wouldnt take that again

• Posted

my dr wants me to go back to 30 mg prozac and see if i feel any better

• Edited

if it wasnt working before why would it now. its really tough changing medication if you struggle with anxiety but could be a game changer. Lexapro is very good for anxiety and i hope it is with me. The good thing is i should have an idea if it will work by two to three weeks.

• Posted

wants to see if its worse or better than the 40 mg just to see how im dosing wise and go from there. also wants to see how it is paired with deplin.

• Posted

hi im on my 4th day and anxiety and depression has increased.

• Posted

tends to get worse before it gets better. hang in there

• Posted

i am sticking with the deplin and prozac for now... as i have seen some glimmers hope here and there so far

• Posted

i might try lexapro. Im nervous it wont work if prozac didnt work

• Posted

hi , fluoxetine didnt work for me this time and the side effects were horrible. ive done 1 week 5mg which i had one day slightly anxious and depressed, 2nd week 7.5 mg no side effects and been on 10mg 4 days and ive been ill for 6 months anxiety , panic , ocd and depression.

on the second day of 10mg in the afternoon and evening i felt really good having a joke with the kids couldnt believe it. im down today lol but its a sign it can work and should.

honestly i would go for it as much better on side effects just half your dose for the first week.

only takes 1 week to get to a steady state in the blood and fluoxetine 30-60 days thats why its do slow to work

• Posted

i hope it continues to work for you. So you think lexapro can work even if prozac didnt? im scared

• Posted

it didnt work for me and it looks like its going to.

the good thing about trying this one is it diesnt take as long to work and the side effects are less. Im not sure what your struggles are but ive been ill for 6 months with 2 failed meds and i had nothing to lose my anxiety was so high on those meds so thought go for it.

it looks like you have given it ling enough so i would go for it. if your struggling now then you got nothing to lose and it might make you feel great

• Posted

i think so. I think anxiety manifests as depression for me. It causes me to cry and worry about getting better. I break down crying

• Posted

thats the same for me its always anxiaty first which i get health anxiety then panic attacks which causes depression. it also gives me ocd when im like this. its so hard but when the med works it gets you back to your old self.

if you started now you could be seeing improvements in 2-4 weeks

• Posted

I had health anxiety too and was on zoloft which worked for me awhile ago but it stopped working and ive been trying at different things since. I just have this feeling of sadness anxiety and dread and i worry so much about getting back to myself. it consumes me. I tried lexapro awhile back but dont think i gave it long enough of a chance. i only gave it 6 weeks in which i had ups and downs...

• Posted

i know how you feel from the moment i wake up im looking forward to bed because had enough of the constant stress of all of it. Did you stay on one dose on lexapro

• Posted

i did a month on 5 mg and 6 weeks on 10 mg and i did see some progress but wasnt where i wanted to be..but looking back maybe i shouldve gave it more time. maybe i should try it again

• Posted

you still could of gone to 15 or 20 and you still get benefits up to 12 weeks i think

• Posted

yeah it just terrifies me that nothing will ever work

• Edited

well to be honest all of us with anxiety all worry about the same and we cant be positive. Thats all ive been thinking about is the medication working. Makes worse when you read reviews when people recover in two weeks and that never happens to me

• Posted

if i was you go back on lexapro because you had some positive results. speed it up 5mg 1 week 10 mg give it longer than the six or do 2 weeks then go up to 15mg and see how that goes.

new year tomorrow so make a change

• Posted

i am going to have to taper off the prozac and meet with my dr but i will talk to him about it asap.

• Posted

only need to do it 5 days then straight on to it.

good luck anyway

• Posted

u think? ive been on it awhile...almost a year.

Maybe he'll have me a cross taper. Good luck to you too. let me know your progress

• Posted

my wife was on it 18 years then 5 days straight onto sertraline. yeah cause and let me know which way you go

• Posted

i have an appt with my dr on friday. lowered from 40 mg to 30 mg and feeling terrible. Makes me wonder if i should be increasing the prozac dose. how are u doing on lexapro?

• Posted

its never easy what to do, im only on day 6 from increasing nearly 3 weeks but im still struggling with anxiety and depression

• Posted

thanks nothing worse than waiting for a tablet to work, i feel so bad for my kids having to put up with me not being me. we will get there

• Posted

totally understand. im only 25 but my boyfriend and family hasnt had me at nearly my best lately. I just want to be back to normal and be happy with everyone. With prozac ive had ups and downs but not consistently up enough

• Posted

ive tried so hard with prozac...every time i raise the dose i get some relief but its never consistent..i wonder if i should

keep raising it or try a different med. i guess ill see what my dr says on fri. ive heard lexapro is good for anxiety

• Posted

maybe higher will work its a tough one and both medications are good for anxiety. they will probably say higher it as its already in your system but you got to go with how you feel.

• Posted

dont worry about that its better to feel yourself and enjoying your life. this is how i messed up i was on fluoxetine over 10 years no anxiety or depression no issues and happy. So i come off thinking im fine but a year later i started going down the anxiety route then here i am. I will stay on medication now , has lost me 6 months of happiness and still not well. wish i never come of

• Posted

totally agree i more just meant im scared of side effects of going higher

• Posted

yeah thats what i hate and escitalopram has been less for side effects , maybe go up 10 mg so side effects are less

• Posted

i feel the same but you have to keep going as i have to because it will happen and if you ever feel that low just reach out to someone just talk it does help just take one day at a time and focus on getting through that day. If your ever feeling bad message me sometimes its not as hard to talk to someone going through the same.

• Posted

my dr is squeezing me in tomorrow morning instead .. lets see what happens

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.