Symbicort inhaler and the number of doses in turbo inhaler

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi This is something which has bothered me for some while.  I have mild asthma and have been on Sybicort 2puffs twice a day for some years.

I have always felt that once the red mark appears in the window I do not get a full dose especially as sometimes my chest feels a bit tight.  It always corresponds with coming to the end of the inhaler.  I know that on the instructions it state that once the red mark shows at the edge there are 20 doses left when red 120 doses left and when the 0 is on the red it is time to start a new inhaler.  I thought it's maybe a coincidence. Now my husband has been diagnosed with possible COPD and using symbicort same dose and over the last couple of months he has said to me that he feels he is not getting the right dose once the red shows in the window as he is feeling even more tight chested.  Sorry to have rambled on just wanted to know of other peoples experiences with symbicort.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Libralady. If you go to the medicines page on this website you will find the name of the inhaler you are using. Read the info and check what side effects it has. This should be on the leaflet in the box also, more on that than on here! If your problem is not listed, ask the pharmacist or the Doc/nurse who prescribed it. You may need a different one if it's not helping you. They need to know what effects it has anyway. I think Symbicort is a Steroid so you should be monitored by your GP's anyway. Don't be afraid to see them if you're not sure of what's happening. I use Fostair which is similar to yours. Sometimes I have bad days and need to use a reliever inhaler too. Best wishes, Ellie UK
    • Posted

Hi Thank you for your reply.  I think you have misunderstood me.  I have been using symbicort for years and I thought it was just me who found them selves slightly tight chested once the red started to show in the space on the inhaler.  I would then start the new one and everything would be fine.  It is only because my husband started to complain about the same thing that I posted to find out others experiences.    I have had good control and only use my ventolin when I have a cold.  I have had bottles go out of date before I have used them.  I do have a separate issue at the moment as I am taking Azopt a glaucoma drop and that can affect breathing.  I will find out more at the eye clinic on the 30th.  My query had nothing to do with side effects.  I know my question does sound a little odd but I thank you for your reply.
  • Posted

Hi Libralady,

As a matter of interest i have had the same issue only when i used a new inhaler did i realise what the issue was.

As i order my meds i normally change once i have hit the red area anyway to avoid this.

I noticed this about 2 months ago and have been on symbicourt for 8 months now.

• Posted

Thank you I think from now on my husband and myself will start new 

Symbicort inhalers as soon as we hit the red.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.