Take 2 on attempt to come off 600-100mg a day

Posted , 11 users are following.

have been addicted to codeine for 5 years now. It started when my mum died and I started to get migraines. The doctor prescribed me Co-Codamol. I found not only did it take my migraine pain away but my emotional pain too. Within that first year I found another source for getting codeine without it being mixed with paracetamol so I could take more. I have attempted 5 times to cut down slowly - we even bought a safe to keep them in. Then in April I took some time off work and was going to go cold turkey but a friend suggested using sub. I was doing okay until I started to read how hard it is to come off of sub!! Harder than codeine! I had to go back to work so I just switched back. I've decided this is it. I'm out of control. I have an appointment with my dr on Tuesday and I'm going to tell him everything. I am hoping he will support me doing a detox cold turkey and hoping he will sign me off work for anything but the truth! I'm so worried I will loose my job as I am the only wage earner in the house. I don't want to be referred to a drug and alcohol place as that's where I went last time and basically the guy scared me off getting help with them cos he said I would always be down as an addict - it would affect my career, getting insurance and even a mortgage. I just wondered if anyone has found that their GP will help them with this kind of addiction or do they just pass you on to a drug/alcohol centre? I want to stop but I also want to continue with my life once I have - not have it follow me around for the rest of my life. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dr today at 5.20 - so scared to admit this to him!
    • Posted

Good luck Sue my mum use to say better out than in, Tell your G.P that you want to be weaned of Codeine with the intention of coming off themall together don't be scared sue to admit it to him.Your taking a big step and by the looks of things you have a lot ofpeople behind you.

Sorry not been of much help but will be thinking of you. Good Luck let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Oh Sue

I do hope he helps you.  I take codeine and paracetamol.....paracetamol is full dose but the codeine is only 15mg x 2 a day.

Keep in touch and let us know what he says. Although I have never been were you are I do understand you wanting to come off it but not wanting it to follow you around

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Sorry meant to say......Tell the doctor everything. What is the point in going if you dont tell him. He cant help you if he doesnt know the full storey.

Good luck pet

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi sue, you are doing the right thing being honest with your GP .

i took 30mg dyhydrocodeine only about eight to ten a day for a couple of

years at the end of last year I had reduced to just a couple a day then on

new year eve I took my last one the withdrawals weren't nice the worst lasted about five days then everyday got a little better.

its the best decision I ever made. You have won half the battle by deciding

you want to give up and getting help.

good luck with your Dr, if I can help in anyway just let me know.

stay strong Ann 

• Posted

Hi Sue, I know exactly how you feel...im the same! If you are too scared to tell your GP....write everything down and give him/her the letter.

Your GP should give you codeine phosphate to help you taper down slowly! please please be 100% honest, don't leave anything out! I will be thinking of you!

Kate

X

• Posted

I didn't find any help from my GP and referred myself to the drugs and alcohol people (I was worried about the paper trail). They had all the right skills and supporting medication to help. I've not had any repurcussions affecting my work prospects, I'm guessing the only slightly tricky time might be a new prospctive employer wanting to do a medical check, but that still seems unlikely to be a problem.

• Posted

Wishing you the very best of luck. Regarding the paper trail in my experience there is not much of one. They can ask for information regarding only to ur current circumstances, and with my G.P she completely changed the terminology so as to give just enough but not too much information when asked. Even then we spoke and was aked if xyz could be removed and replace it by abc....Take care jx
  • Posted

Thank you so much for all the replies.  I have been reading them throughout the day and even in the dr waiting room.  He was running an hour late so I had lots of time to get worked up!

He was actually really great.  I didn't feel judged at all. He doesn't have the experience to deal with addicts - especially the amout I am taking.  He has given me the details of a new drug/alcohol centre to try.

He said he couldnt medically advise me to go cold turkey on the amount I was taking as it could be dangerous as I could have a seizure.  Luckily my partner is home at the moment as he is off for the summer from uni.  My husband came in with me and he said he would stay with me 24/7.  I think he realised I was going to go against his advice and go cold turkey anyway - he said to get me to a hospital if I have a seizure.

I have left a message on the answerphone of the drug/alcohol place so hopefully they will call tomorrow.

He has signed me off for 2 weeks and I have an appointment with him just before I go back in case I need longer.  He has written 'stress and low mood' on the certificate which is better than addict but it is a new job so I dont think they will be impressed!  I need to try and come up with a 'personal problem' before I ring in the morning.

I have subscribed to netflix (I can afford it now Im not buying the pills!) and stocked up on food I really like, vitamins including potassium, I-tyrosine, ibuprofen and nytol.

I'm going to put some comfy pj's on and wrap up with a comfy blanket on the sofa.  Just ordered a take away - could be the last time I feel like eating for a while!

I will keep posting daily - if I can get through this then ANYONE can!

I am also going to try to get to a womens NA meeting tomorrow however I am thinking I may not be able to get to meetings until the second week. Last time I stopped the fatigue and aches were so bad.

Thanks again to all of you.   Here goes nothing!

Sue x

• Posted

good luck Sue hope all goes well keep us informed will be thinking of you.   Tina. xxx
    • Posted

Im really pleased that I mentioned how they can change the terminology, to make it sound just a natural stressfull moment that you are having...When my employer asked for all my medical records ( MOD ) she told them exactly where to go. She did not lie about my condition. Like with you she just put stress and anxiety due to bereavement.....end of..  They are reluctant to give any information to a third party....Please try not to worry wishing you all the luck in the world jx 
  • Posted

Sue that all sounds greatand very positive

Its understandable that the GP hasnt the experience but at least he knows where to send you to get advice and help.

Thats the thing about GP GENERAL practioners......they know about a lot of things but not very much about one particular thing if that makes sensecheesygrin

For instance my arthritis, scoliosis, spinal stenosis and osteoporosis....they dont know a lot about it but know who to send me to and they teel the GP what they think should be done.

Do you drive?

If you do be very careful because if you do try to go cold turkey and have a seizure bang goes your licence for a few years.

I have epilepsy......its well controlled and has been for years now but I'm still on meds and I know if I miss them and have a seizure thats my licence gone.Since I'm permanently on crutches that would be a losscheesygrin

Here endeth the lesson.......sorry didnt mean to preach  biggrin

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi sue, glad you were honest with Dr  it can be done just keep positive and reduce slowly I have read it's how long you have been taking them can

determine how long it takes to get free of them. I wouldn't plan on

going anywhere for the next five days or so as when I first stopped I had

really bad stomach and felt like I had flu try and keep as busy as you can

though that really helps I also do mindfulness and meditation that helped a

lot and still does. Take care Ann

• Posted

Day 3 - I feel like I am dying a slow death. Cramping everywhere. Not eaten for 48 hours. Can't get out of bed. When will I start to feel better? It just keeps getting worse and worse!
    • Posted

Bless you, withdrawal really is the most hideous torture. You are doing bloody well! I know everyone is different but at 3 days you are probably at maximum anxiety. Sadly you've probably still got a few more days before it starts to noticeably ease off (but it won't get worse), but it's coming, and hopefully you only have to go through this once, which is much better than repeated bouts of it from tapering IMO. Big hugs to ya, you are in our thoughts and prayers, keep your eye on the prize - it's great being free of it.
    • Posted

Thank you for repling Oly I just didnt have the energy to even type anymore! I am on day4 today however at 5.30am today it got so bad that I took 0.3 of sub - literally it was a crumb.  The only thing it has really helped with is the muscle aches - they are still there but npw managable.  Do you think by doing that I have put myself backwards? I was so set on going cold turkey but everyone was saying to me it was going to be hell from what I was taking - I never knew you could feel that bad! Anyway if i can I won't take anymore - if I getin that state again I will take 0.2 sub - what do you think?
    • Posted

I figured you were in a bad way and I don't blame you. Its probably a good idea but my experience is that in another 3 days you will feel some effects. I had a long chat to a friend who has lots of experience with friends going through withdrawal - he advised me against full cold turkey as it is so horrible. But you are getting there, perhaps you need some really low strength codeine to take the edge off (breaking pills isn't so good) - it will extend the time to getting clean but make it more bearable, that's what the general advise says from my GP. Tricky!
    • Posted

I feel like I am going crazy! I have been on the phone to 4 so-called professionals and had 4 different lots of advice!!! Does anyone actually know about addiction in the medical world??? A women from FRANK just told me to start taking codeine again!! back up to my usual dose...until I can get myself in to rehab! Been trying to do that for a long time but around here it is impossible - otherwise I wouldnt be doing it on my own!  Everyone says I have made a mistake taking the 0.3 of sub except a mate I have who is an expert from experience and says that as long as I hold out for as long as I possibly can then take 0.2, and again to 0.1.  She says as long as I dont take it for long I shouldn't get addicted and its the only way she has ever been able to get of H.  Then my old sponsor from NA says I should be going to a drug centre and stabilising on sub then start reducing - surely that is just giving me a sub habit?! All I know is that if I get in the state I was at 5.30AM again I cannot handle it.  End of.  Someone said that if I take a small amount of codeine it will set me right back to the start then another drug and place said take some just when I am desperate. I mean howmany people who are supposedly experts tell you different things??  It is so confusing! The drug place my GP gave me details of never even called me back.  I feel so lost and alone with this and the clock is ticking I only have a week and a half left off work.  I feel like anything I do is wrong.My best mate says most people start on 4mg, 8mg + of sub and that 0.3 is nothing. Oly you were a voice of reason when I tried to detox in March and again your posts have really helped.  I am sure you have helped many others. It is such a pain its a bank holiday weekend  - I cant even just show up at adrug and alcohol place.  I dont suppose you know if they have a drug team if you go to A&E?
    • Posted

Yep, they are pretty useless. The difficult bit is they are all right and all wrong at the same time. I found my GP just kept telling me to take pills, the drugs team wanted to give me Methadone and I wanted to go cold turkey. In the end I found I had to take a bit of advice from all and take my own route.

I think your friend who was on H is on the money, you can take a bit of sub for a few weeks to relieve symptoms. This is what they do with Methadone programmes, it's just a different Opiate that will reduce withdrawal - just because you have a dependency on one Opiate it doesn't mean you are addicted to all of them, takes a good month to get addicted to a new one.

I did my final quit with Lofexidine, to my knowledge its the only non Opiate anti withdrawal stuff. But like you said you are time constrained so there isn't any time to deviate. The most important thing is reducing the problem, FRANKs advice to you is stupid as it doesn't take into account the rest of your life concerns.

• Posted

Hi Oly, feel like i have failed miserably.  I took 0.2 of sub again yesterday as I was back in that state.  Been VERY emotional!! I suffer with depression - have done since I was 14, so it raises its ugly head everytime I try and get clean.  I need my mum - she would of been over here like a shot - made somewhere take me in or help me.  Trouble is when you arein the midst of withdrawals you have no strengh.  Tried my father and as usual he doesnt care. Woke this morning feeling physically and emotionally f**ked.  I can't take anymore.  Ive taken about a 1mg sub and had a couple of shots.  Just killing time before I can start banging on the doors of every drug centre I can find.  Somehow I think I need a lot more than just a detox.  A brain (or should I say soul?) transplant would be a help.  I have just given up and am willing to put my job and reputation on the line and just get every single bit of help I can.  I will probably loose my job - i work for the NHS - but what is more important?  I have paid taxes since I was 16, I just need some help for a while.  I really hope they take me in somewhere, possibly too optamistic!!

At least my daughter is 16 - she got straight A's and A*'s, has a part time job, dances and she is beautiful.  she starts her A levels soon as already has a uni in sight.  I at least feel all the arguments with her and her hating me for making her study and her dad telling me I'm too much has paid of.  One thing I got right.

Now time to get me right - could be a very long process!!

Thanks for all your support - I will keep posting and let people know if I get anywhere in the NHS as skint as it is.

And if I get through it I intend to stick about and try to help others as you do.

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.