Taken off Ramipril

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. Just spoken to my GP who has taken me off Ramipril because of the blasted cough. I'm now on Candesartan, which I've never heard of. Anyone out there have any experience of this drug?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There are two different manufacturers of Ramapril. By chance I tried the version by TEVA and found I didn't cough as much with it. As far as Candesartan is concerned, it seems to suit a lot of people. It worked very well for me for a few months and then my blood pressure began creeping up again for reasons I don't understand (this often happens with me when I try a new drug) and so I changed to a different drug. As far as hypertension drugs are concerned, and I guess many others, is it is a matter of trial and error to find what suits each one of us, we are all different. Another factor is that, as we get older we often do better on reduced dosages of many drugs but some of these are in liquid form and not generally available on the NHS because of cost. Good luck. Just plug away until you find what suits yourself.
  • Posted

Luvheart...

I'm not surprised you had a cough while on Rampiril. Rampiril is an A.C.E.Inhibitor..& they are known to cause cough. However, only 1 in 4 experience the cough.Unfortunately, you were one of them. Candesartan is in the ARB class, the same as Irbesartan, or Valsartan. A friend of mine takes Valsartan & has success with it. Please let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks for your comments, guys. I'll let you know how I get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.