Taper off oxycodone with morphine sulfate. Please help quickly!

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI everyone!

I have been on 10 15mg oxycodone per day for quite some time now. I just ran out and I want to taper off with 60 morphine sulfate pills I still have left over (30mg). Is that possible? Would that be enough pills and how would the taper work? It is all I have so I have to make that work. Thanks for all your help!

Mike

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike, unfortunately I am not sure anybody will be able to put you on a good taper UNLESS they have more info...were your oxycodone sustained release or just regular straight oxycodone, same with your morphine sulfate, is it sustained release or regular morphine sulfate...if it is coated(sustain release) it is MUCH harder to taper as you cannot cut the pills...Honestly it will be hard w/ 60 pills(but even if you only manage to cut back, needing further help, every bit helps in the end...NEVER go back up to higher dose)Your best option might be to go as long as you can w/o and when you get sick take the lowest amt possible to get through, I would NEVER try QUITTING cold turkey ALONE, you could have a seizure but, also be very sick...you need someone to watch you/check on you, why a PROPER Dr. OUT patient supervised taper or IN hospital/rehab/clinic withdrawal are best options...there are taper plans on some of the rehab sites/blogs, just to be prepared... you should know a bit of what to expect, withdrawal isn't pretty,(but NOT knowing it is temporary & if symptoms are PART of it can be very scary & anxiety envoking)the following are ALL(not ONLY)symptoms of withdrawal you may not have thought of: yawning, goose bumps/crawling sensation, running nose, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, chills, hot/cold flashes,irritability, stomach/gut cramps, anxiety(panic attack, feeling doom/fear, heart racing), sweating, shaking, headache, nervousness, sensitivity to light/smells/sounds, aches & pains & etc...The type of pills makes a big difference if they are regular vs. sustained release but, 60 pills will be a very hard withdrawal (if it were easy there wouldn't be a need for places like this)....you can use meds to slow motility to help diarrhea, nausea meds which will help...be sure to stay hydrated, if you get dehydrated you will end up in hospital no matter what you do...Best Wishes & if you have the info about the pills you will get BETTER suggestions(add it to your post on here)...don't avoid quitting b/c it's hard & get help if you need it...you should be able to be honest with your doctor...if not, maybe call a few hotlines & do more research see what options you have RIGHT NOW, so you have a PLAN A,B,C to Z if need be...God Bless & Take Care💟

• Posted

Its possible, perhaps you could take 3 pills one day and then 8 pills the next day, this is the time tom work on taking less medication, and preparing your body for less medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.