Teething

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just want to know if you can give a baby of 10 months old Brufan for teething problems. she is given 1 teaspoonful when she is crying. Since she has been given Brufan the child is very lathargic, tired all the time, and her face seems swollen. I am only asking as i know of a young mother who is giving this to her child a lot. There are other products on the market for teething without giving a baby such a harsh drug. It wasnt prescribed by a nurse or a doctor as the mother is taking the drug herself for a swollen knee so it is her medication. Could someone please let me know if it is harmful for the baby or am i over reacting.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

For teething, slightly milder drugs like paracetamol should cut it. If it doesn't work it should be discussed with the doctor before giving Brufen. The dosage depends on weight by the way. Brufen should not be given routinely or frequently. It is a harsh drug indeed. It is not the drug of choice unless nothing milder helps. My youngest has an allergy to paracetamol, as do I. When needed the doctor said to given Brufen. Having said that I gave her Brufen once when her fever was exceptionally high because of a viral infection (she was 1.5) and once for teething pain at night. That's it in 3 years. I would definitely avoid giving it to ease mild discomfort unless the crying does not cease after an hour or so and after trying to ease discomfort by applying some anesthetic gel or cold chews. Even with fever I am reserved until we cross the 38.5C mark. I prefer to avoid meds unless needed and always consult a doctor if in doubt. As for the other issue you mention, neither of my kids were lethargic or had swollen faces after being given Brufen. The doctor should check for intolerance/allergy if it looks off. Then again maybe the face looks a little swollen if the kid was crying for a prolonged period. This could also be why she is now lethargic. If it is notable I would take her into the ER just to be on the safe side.
    • Posted

Brufen can be given to babies 6 months or older yes. But still, I would consult the doctor and try milder solutions too. Hope it is not a reaction and the baby feels better soon. All the best.

• Posted

Hi Carol78653,

the best method for baby teething is to get a smoking hot fire poker and apply it to the gums where teething is taking place. i have found this method to work very well. Mothers also say this helps their babys sleep better.

Hope this helps smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.