Terbinafine tablets. Worth the risk? Or is there an alternative?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have an athletes foot infection that isn't clearing up. The doctor has suggested a course of terbinafine tablets but I need blood tests first to check my liver function. I'm really not keen on the idea of taking terbinafine tablets, the liver problems thing is off putting but then I've also read that a lot of people completely loss their sense of taste with the tablets and have stomach problems. This has put me off even more. I have IBS so don't want further stomach problems. I don't want to lose my sense of taste either. Is it worth going back to the doctors and asking for an alternative? Is terbinafine really that bad?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

i use terbinafine or Lamisil it's over the counter in the US. you only need a tiny bit .

• Edited

Hi lauren51340, oral Terbinafine is usually prescribed for fungal nail infections. Have you tried topical Terbinafine? For example Lamisil cream? I had nail fungus and was prescribed Lamisil tablets (the active ingredient is Terbinafine). I finished the prescribed treatment, but in my case it caused nausea and altered affected the liver.

Here are some tips to avoid a reinfection with athletes foot:

1. Always wear slippers in communal showers like gym or pool.
    2. Change socks daily and use laundry disinfectant when washing them.
    3. Don't wear the same closed shoes on consecutive days.
    4. Wear socks with closed shoes.
    5. Spray the inside of your shoes regularly with alcohol spray.
    6. Dry your feet with a hair dryer instead of a towel.
    7. If anyone in the household has athletes foot they should treat it as well.
    8. If you have excessively sweaty feet consider iontophoresis.
    9. Most antifungals work by disrupting the metabolism of the fungi. They do not kill the fungus on contact like bleach. For this reason the treatment has to be continued well beyond the point when all the symptoms have disappeared.
    10. Treat reoccurring athletes foot as soon as possible. For example, keep a small tube of antifungal cream with you when traveling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.