Terrible itchy, burning eyes and face

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have what doctors say is rosacea. It only occasionally is visible but it's terrible anyway. My eyes burn and itch both around them and inside. The rest of my face is itchy too but the worst is my eyes. Sometimes I literally cannot stop rubbing them although I know it's not recommended. I am desperately trying to figure out what triggers this because nothing really helps -- not warm compresses, cortisone eye drops, antibiotics. Nothing helps. I can tell you that alcohol makes it worse, and if I drink wine I break out in red blotches. This has all just started happening in the last six months. I am 68. Never had this before. I have tried reducing the dose of my antidepressant wellbutrin to the lowest dose. That has helped other things but not my eyes. I don't drink anymore but I still have it. My question is: can it be caused by sleeping pills? Taking benedryl for sleep? Lexapro?

Are there any supplements that can help?

I also have bad sinus issues and nothing helps that either. Sneezing, stuffy nose. The allergist says I have no allergies. The ENT calls it idiopathic which means they have no idea. I feel like this is all caused by medication. (and age.) If I could figure out what I would stop taking it.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Try taking Vitamin B12.

Dont eat chocolate or any citrus fruits. Use eyelid wipes several times per day. Use a lubricating drop in your eyes like artificial tears, also called Hypromellose.

Did your diet change in the last 6 months?

Have you had something happen in your life that has upset you greatly? loss of loved one or retiring from work?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.