Terrified I have RA

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello

I am 32 and in relatively good health. I gave birth 19 months ago and around a year ago i developed a terrible pain in my inner wrist / thumb area. I self diagnosed tendonitis (effectively from lifting my very heavy son daily) and explained my symptoms to the GP who effectively confirmed my thoughts. Initially the pain was worst when moving the joint in any way. It sometimes felt like it was grinding, it was swollen but not red or hot to the touch and the pain was a sharp, shooting one.

I'm still experiencing pain (albeit not as bad) a year later. It is stiff and worse in the morning but unless I knock or move it suddenly, it doesn't tend to bother me in the day. There is now a very bony prominent lump on the inside of my wrist.

I called the GP again as obviously I am concerned that it does not seem to have gone completely. The GP asked about any history of RA and is sending me for a blood test (which I understand is to check inflammatory markers for potential RA). This has panicked me massively as I do a manual job and I have a young child to care for.

I should add the issue is only in my left wrist and I'm left handed.

Does this sound like it could be RA? Or possibly something else? I appreciate you can't diagnose but I'd be so grateful to hear from anyone else who has experienced similar.

Thank you so much.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm not a doctor but I've had RA for 2 years. It doesn't sound like RA. RA is an autoimmune disease, which means it affects all of you. You would most likely have inflammation in more than just one joint. But there are 2 blood tests that likely confirm - anti-ccp and and RF test, though some people don't test positive for either of those and still have RA - they call it seronegative RA. It sounds like you might have osteoarthritis, which is due to wear and tear of a joint.

Anyway, if you do have RA, do not be terrified. I've managed mine with diet and lifestyle changes alone. I still run, roller skate.... There are meds too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.