Terrified of cystocopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've got to have a cystoscopy next month. I'm absolutely terrified. It sounds like sheer hell. But perhaps even worse than the excruciating pain is the psychological torture of it all. I was hoping to be sedated, but they refused. My initial appointment was so humiliating I couldn't even talk to my therapist about it. How do I survive the total humiliation of this? I fear I will never recover from the psychological trauma? To make it worse, I don't have access to my therapist any more.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

100% absolutely no reason for fear. Do not listen too closely to closely to the few that have had bad experiences there are many people that have low tolerance for any kind of invasiveness. I have had dozens and never once even the slightest feeling of pain. I've had tumors furigated (burned) and didn't feel a thing either. I go to a collage teaching hospital. I was nervous to be honest when I was asked if his student can perform her first one ever. even she done great.

• Posted

100% absolutely no reason for fear. Do not listen too closely to closely to the few that have had bad experiences there are many people that have low tolerance for any kind of invasiveness. I have had dozens and never once even the slightest feeling of pain. I've had tumors furigated (burned) and didn't feel a thing either. I go to a collage teaching hospital. I was nervous to be honest when I was asked if his student can perform her first one ever. even she done great.

• Posted

• Posted

Just try and relax don't tighten up muscles . Remember, having a cystoscope is a Win/Win. if they find something that means early treatment and if they don't find anything thats the cherry on top now you can relax for the next 3 months

• Posted

Any tips on how to relax? I don't know if I even have that capability. I can only hope for some strong anxiety meds, but that will only get me so far. I'm afraid to see any doctor. Urology takes that to the worst extreme possible. I keep hearing people tell me to relax, but I honestly don't know how.

• Edited

It's not as bad as it sounds. They put a gel on first so I felt nothing. Yes, a bit embarrassing but they have done it so many times they make you feel ok. It takes about 5 mins and they tell you straight away if all is fine.

Hope it goes ok.

• Posted

It doesn't matter how many times they've done it. It's just wrong to have anything shoved up there. No matter how many times they've done it, there is no way for them to grasp the horrors they inflict. That kind of thing should never be done outside the OR. I just wish they could grasp how sadistic this is.

• Edited

Hi

they are helping you, to find out if you need treatment for possible cancer or some other problem. The body has areas where only a major operation can get to; they have invented tests to avoid these.

I'm in the Uk and have never been offered any sedation as it's not deemed as a painful procedure and over within mins.

The though of some things are often much worse than the procedure . I hope you can get through this and feel proud that you have.

• Edited

hi jesse

so sorry to hear you're struggling.

when i went for my cystocopy last year i had an epidural so that i couldnt feel anything from the waist down. its usually done under general aestephic or sedation however id recently had surgery on my vocal cords so i couldnt. im in the Uk so dont know whether that makes a difference. the procedure lasted one minute and was over before i could even realise it had started.

i did have a tube put up my urethra for a different procedure a few weeks before which was with no sedation etc. it took three separate attempts and appointments as i was so scared each time and because i was so worried i kept fainting. my the third appointment i knew i HAD to be ok and couldnt waste another appointment. i focussed on breathing in and out slowy and counting, i kept pumping my calms which helps with blood circulation if you're prone to feeling light headed / fainting and i kept repeating in my head , you are fine. it really really wasnt as bad as i had built it up to be at all. it will be a short moment of discomfort but wont be painful! and if you keep focussing on the outcome and benefits of having the procedure that will help. please dont worry xxx

• Posted

I wish I was fine. It will take many years to overcome the horrors of this procedure. I fear I will never recover psychologically. Flashbacks of this nightmare may haunt me the rest of my life.

• Posted

Hi there, i was a bladder cancer patient for three years and have had maybe 15 cystoscopies. i know how you feel. i remember being terrified for my first one. for me they were never painful. most i didn't feel a thing. others just a bit of discomfort. they apply a numbing gel first which really helps.

my advice would be try and have a pee straight away. once the gel has worn off the first pee stings quite alot. the more you pee the quicker it gets back to normal though.

try to relax about the actual procedure. it really isn't as bad as you'll be expecting. the hospital staff have always been brilliant too.

don't forget, they are helping you. The cystoscopy is there to help fox a medical problem.

good luck

Craig

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I can only hope you are right. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad if I could meet the doctor before the .... But I have no option for that to even express my concern.

• Posted

Ok you've been there and done that. I need your opinion. I just talked to the PA in urology. She said there's absolutely no pain at all and they never use even a topical anesthesia. Everything I read says a topical is standard. Is it a red flag that they don't use any anesthesia at all? It seems concerning to me.

• Posted

i completely understand you... in my eyes things come out that. not go up and having a look around. videos of it being done helped me. and no way could i be awake and able to stay still. i wont be awake for any of my check ups. i told the and they are fine.... most say its fine but watching different video everyone is different

good luck

• Posted

Yeah it's really unnerving. I didn't get the option of sedation. My doctor won't do it if I'm sedated, so I will have to bite the bullet or simply refuse. At this point I suppose I might try to endure, but if it doesn't go well I will never have it done again no matter how urgent it may be. Just like doctors, I too have some non negotiables.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.