Testicle pain/hypersensitivity after embolisation and varicocelectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

In the last three years I have been suffering of testicular pain, mainly left side. The pain and discomfort were always intermittent during the day, especially when standing for long period of time or walking for long distances. The first operation consisted in embolisation (left vein) which was performed in May 2019 using some spiral coils. This procedure did not help at all causing a combination of pain in the testicle, pelvic area and left kidney too. At that time I have been to hospital different time and I have also asked to get the coils removed because the varicocele was still there and there were no improvements whatsoever. I have been prescribed different painkiller and also amitryptiline but they had mild effects on pain management.

In February 2020 i decided to see a private urologist in London who was able to support me more than anyone else. He confirmed that the left varicocele was still present (Grade II) , he also accepted to perform the Laparoscopic varicocelectomy and removing the spiral coils too. This surgery was carried in March 2020, the coils were removed and the gonadal vein was removed too. He also discovered that these coils have created adhesions with the lower bowel so he had to perform adhesiolysis before removing the spiral coils. After surgery, I felt so much better and I forgot the sensation of having these coils in my body. I had a good month of recover, taking codeine for few days and then ibuprofen when required. Nevertheless, I still experience some pain in the testicle region. It seems I have developed an hypersensitivity , I feel some pain/discomfort on touch. My doctor has also prescribed some Gabapantin (100mg before bed) for few weeks because he thinks it may be a neurological pain after surgery. I did also some tests in july 2020 such as sperm analysis, urethral swab test, urine culture but everything was fine, no infections were found. The last ultrasound in july 2020 was absolutely spotless and the varicocele was not present. I truly think this could be related to a nerve problem, maybe a nerve could have been damaged with these stupid coils in the first procedure. It would be nice to get some advice or guidance by someone who experienced a similar situation. I am considering to see another urologist but not sure who is able to help me.

Thank you for reading my story, I know this may be quite long but I had to explain it in details.

Take care guys 😃

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

You are not alone, there are many on this forum and in your region who are facing same pain.

I am pretty sure that Doctor had given you antibiotics. This testicular pain can't be detected from tests, but infection always be there hidden. So you need antibiotic for extended period . It's my opinion that you should remain with this Doctor who did your varicocelomy and discuss about more antibiotic.

I had grade 3 varicocele with extreme pain on my both testicles and it was operated by a Laparoscopic surgeon in 1999 and consumed antibiotics for one month and there after few more years whenever got mild pain . ( 5 days therapy) .

You are lucky that you have best experienced doctors in the world. I do hope that you will get better and complete cured

• Edited

I am happy you are feeling better!

Can you possibly give me the name of the doctor who performed the removal of the coils.

Would be very grateful.

Kind regards Eva

• Posted

Did you ever find an answer for the pain? I'm currently in the same situation, though from the onset my urologist went straight for a microsurgical varicolectomy. Now I have hypersensitivity too, and the scans and test have revealed nothing wrong. I still cant jump, run or walk fast. Hope you found some answers.

• Edited

hey Marc, thank you for sharing your story. please can you share the name of the surgeon who carried out the removal as I am going through the same as you?

thank you so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.