Testing

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 56 yo. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April. After a 20 needle biopsy, with 3 showing Adenocarcenomas. 3%

5% and 30 %. PSA 2.8 ( taken 3 days after biopsy). It was 2.2 before the biopsy.). I was scored a T1c Gleason 3+3. I went to a very reputable cancer treatment center and had a contrast MRI done. No bone scan or endorectal MRI or C-11. A few days later, the doctors nurse called me and said the doctor concurred with the staging and I had no extracapsular activity. My cancer was contained in the prostate. I am set to start therapy in 3 weeks. Should I request these other scans?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is there a family history of prostate cancer?

do you have any other major medical issues young on?

i ask because, and I write as a patient not a doctor, I don't understand why you are being treated for. Gleason 6 with low PSA and no evidence of extracapsular extension.

• Posted

Sorry my iPad's autocorrect function is not working correctly. I meant to say, " do you have any other medical issues going on..."
    • Posted

I do have a cousin diagnosed in 2008. I'm concerned about Active Survellance. I have learned that this is a unpredictable cancer. I feel if I get treated now in the early stage, I have the best chance for non reoccurrence.
  • Posted

What type of treatment are your going to have? It may not be necessary to have additional scans unless you would be more comfortable in doing so. Usually the PSA and gleason score gives the doctors a pretty good idea of the containment of the cancer. Just wondering what treatment you are going to have. There are many that will work.

Charles

• Posted

Did you consult with one or more than one urologist?

what made you choose PR over say brachytherapy?

• Posted

I did consult with multiple urologist. And two radiaction Oncologist. I learned that at my stage, all therapies have about the same effective rate except Bracky plus ebrt. That was a little higher. 1 % I believe. I have talked to men from Louma Linda, to UFPTI, to Provision. Over 215 men.

From age 30 to 90. The rate of reoccurrence is low. The late onset of issues is lower ( according to who you talk to. It feels right to me after all my research.

• Posted

Proton Beam Therapy doesn't have the nasty side-effects of the usual photon beam radiation.

Since a Gleason 6 is not PCa, and if the lesion/tumour isn't aggressive, why wasn't 'watch and await an option?

• Posted

My age mainly. Three doctors I consulted did not recommend Active Surveillance. There is some discussion regarding Renaming Gleason 6 ( Grade 1etc.). But all Doctors I talked to, said I would need treatment eventually. And the numbers may not be so ......good.

I have my final consult tomorrow at Provision Proton. I will discuss it with a 4th Doctor.

• Posted

My thoughts exactly. With a low stage tumour (T1) and a Gleason 6, I would wait and see IF I had no other medical matters going on.

That said, I am leaning towards Proton Therapy instead of anything else IF treatment is warranted.

• Posted

Hi there

my husband is having HIFU have you considered this...my husband has glee son level 6 3+3 Uroligist went through the options ..but this is what he has decided to have .. NHS fund this procedure but there only a few centres that do this across the country UCH London is one of them..

we thoght he could do ACtive Survelliance but Uroligist said even though low grade cancer and its contained, there were 3 cores of cancer and one of them7mm.. If that makes any sense..I can look at the figures in the letters but can't find them at moment.

Best ok luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.