Thanks for your replies

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, Thank you for your replies and comments. I would have come back more often but have had problems "Replying" to you individually. Carmarie told me a way to reply but that hasn't worked either although it did a couple of weeks ago.

Carmarie, Brenda, Nancyo, Sus28 and all, I saw the Doctor two weeks ago today and she prescribed me me Ovestin and wants to see me in a month. I asked to be referred to a Urologist and she said depending on how I am at the next appointment she would give me a gynae internal then refer me to a Urologist if she thought it would help.

Now amazingly during this last two weeks I've been a bit better. I think I mentioned it here before and I said that I hoped I wasn't speaking too soon. Well to cut a long story short, by Tuesday I was back to square 1! I will add here that I have not started using the Ovestin yet so I had virtually too weeks of almost normality without the estrogen. I didn't take it because I made the mistake of looking at the side effects! But I am going to have to use it sooner or later. It's only a small tub of cream with an applicator. Anyway by Tuesday I could feel the "Fire" building up again and even the cooling lubricant didn't help.I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything but I made myself go out otherwise I would have sat indoors crying my eyes out. Brenda I think you are right. This will never be gone completely without using estrogen all the time but it makes me wonder why other women who must surely lose estrogen, don't suffer. I will have to give the Ovestin a go I think. Sorry I can't remember your name but you said you used it for about 4 months. Was it the Ovestin Cream you used? Brenda your ring sounds great. Maybe that's another option to try. At least I wasn't burning as bad yesterday but I felt like I wanted to wee all the time instead. Goodness knows how I will be today. But I really appreciate you all replying with your words, thought and ideas. Shirley :-)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was feeling like I wanted to ask my mum if she suffered in the same way but of course I can't do that because its only 7 weeks since she died and before that, she was unable to make conversation for a couple of years because she had a really bad stroke. It was something that was never mentioned over the years though. But what surprises me is that untill I got this awful condition in July last year, I had never heard about. Nothing about it on TV medical programs and never seen anything about it in women's magazines either. So there was no warning or nothing. sad
  • Posted

Hi Shirley

It does make you wonder how women coped before the oestrogen replacement.  I also wonder what percentage of women get this because it cannot be all.   I suppose it is just yet another genetic thing but I don't remember my Mum getting it and she had a hysterectomy in her 40's but then again that generation didn't discuss any female problems and just got on with it.

Since my own diagnosis I am being very upfront about it and so far two of my aquaintences have admitted to having VA one is a widowed lady so not in a sexual relationship and she uses Savlon or Germoline!  The other lady used Vagifem pessaries like I now do.

I do hope the cream is sufficient but don't be suprised if it isn't strong enough and don't suffer.  Get to the gynalcologist and get Vagifem pessaries prescribed they are no more "dangerous" than the creams and far more effective and less messy.  I have been using it for 3 months now and have little symptoms just a bit sore on the lip area after sex and a bit of burning if I get stressed.

• Posted

Hi Linda, God knows how women coped before Oestrogen replacement! Having said that, the two I have tried so far haven't helped. No it can't be every woman who suffers with this although my Doc said it is very common. I think you are right and it must be a genetic thing. Of course I will never know if my mum got it or not.

I can't imagine using either Savlon or Germaline! I'm glad the Vagifem works for you though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Oestrogen doesn't help me Linda. The Vagifem and GINEST didn't. Brenda mentions a "Ring". Maybe that would be my next port of call if the Ovestin doesn't work. Trouble is I am now scared of the side effects!

Really glad the Vagifem is working for you though.

Right now I'm not too uncomfortable but as you know that can change at any time.

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley:  I use Premarin and it worked for 4 months then wham another UTI and something new a yeast infection, took me off Premarin and drugs for UTI and yeast have been something I have been doing for 3 weeks.  So fed up.  I think the Premarin and Ovestin may be the same.   If I can get this bout better will go back on Premarin and seriously considering the Magic Touch even though expensive out of pocket.  I am desperate, betwen the burning and UTI's my life has come ot a standstill.  I live in California, where are yuou, as the drugs mentioned on this site have dfifferent names.  I know the pain that you speak of and this web site is the only place I see other people suffering from the same thing as me  do you think women just don't talk about it, it can't be just us
  • Posted

I began estrogen cream (premarin) and after 4 months the internal exam was more comfortable (had pain for years before).  Also the problems with outside tissues hurting and dryness improved.  I prefer the cream.  I apply at night internally and some on the outside tissues.  I bathe in the morning.  It is not messy and I assume some does leak a tiny little bit to keep the outside tissues moist and not sore, so that is a benefit to me.  So applying cream twice a week keeps me moist, I think.  I clean the applicator throughly.  There are two in the package so you can switch to a new one.  I never had any infection, and no partner that might bring that to me.  At some point with doctor approval I hope to back off to once a week to reduce the dose if I remain comfortable.  Who knows, it may get to once every other week, whatever, we'll see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.