The logic of doctors when dealing with Tramadol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking Tramadol for about 15 years for nerve pain in my back. I've just had a telephone consultation with my doctor, she's concerned about the long term dangers of my use off the medication. Just to explain things, I have moderate to severe pain between my spine and left shoulder blade caused many years ago by shingles. Most of the time it's just an irritation that gets worse as the day wears on. I find keeping busy takes my mind off it, but in the evening and at night when physical activity isn't easy I found that taking two Tramadol makes things bearable and allows me to get some rest.

My doctor says that the health authorities are concerned about opioid addiction.

I say that as I've been on it for 15 years I'm probably addicted but at my age(72) I'm not worried.

Doctor says at 2 a day I'm probably not addicted.

Doctor says she's changing my medication to co codamol 30:500.

Can someone explain the logic of taking me off an addictive medication that I'm not addicted to and putting me on a medication that contains two addictive ingredients one of which can cause severe liver problems with prolonged use???. Especially as Tramadol was working OK.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hello .. I can suggest u better about tramadol

you can ping me on

+1 315 ....384....1942 ...

• Posted

as Mike said you are better off the tramadol.although you will have severe withdrawals if you have been on them 15 years even at 2 a day..I hope you are well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.