THE TRIALS and TRIBULATIONS From MIDFOOT. FUSION SURGERY

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone

My name is Helen and I am 6 weeks post op from my midfoot fusion surgery. Things seemed to be going well until I fell from my wheelchair to my walker trying to return to my living room where I have been living

After the fall my foot became numb and swollen because I fractured my foot with the fall. Here I thought that I was healing and nowI am back to where I started

Thank God that my husband makes me get out of the house and go out to dinner and visit nice parks and attempt some shopping so I don't fall into a depressive state

My doctor seems to think that I'm on the right track to healing but I'm not sure that I will be walking by July 26th when I'm supposed to return to work.

Does this happen to everyone. Does it take more time to heal then what we are told

Now the insurance company that has my disability claim wants me to return before July 26 There's no possibility of that.

So at this point I guess I have to pray. Thank you for listening

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I'm so sorry to hear of your fall after your fusion. I'm now 7.5weeks post-op from my mid-foot fusion(tmt) and bone graph and Cartiva implant....same foot.

Falling was my worst fear, especially since I'm going it alone after the first couple weeks. Are you wearing the big black Bregg walking boot as well?

My opinion: Don't let the insurance companies dictate your health. But the end of July is still a few weeks away so maybe cross that bridge when it's a little closer?

Your situation is unique with your fall but I found the healing after 6 weeks really started to speed up.

Sorry I can't help but I really hope you'll feel better soon.

• Posted

Krista,

Thank you for responding. My doctor also said that the insurance companies have no ideas what's really involved and not to worry about losing my disability payments

I thought after six weeks that the heeling process would be further than it is but because of the fracture it feels like it's not My foot is numb and swollen from my midfoot to my toes and is very disconcerting Againvthe doctor said everything is still going to schedule .i hope this is correct.

• Posted

Krista

And yes I am wearing the big boot but not allowed to walk with it .

At night sometimes I'll take it off to get some relief

If I take Tylenol and Advil it's more tolerable

Helen

• Posted

Hi Krista

Now Im eight weeks post op and I still have numbness and swelling on the top of my foot. I had X-rays last Wednesday and will get the results tomorrow

Im supposed to return to work on July 26th but I'm seriously wondering if that will be at all possible

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I'm sorry to hear that you still have numbness and swelling....but I don't think thats completely unusual. Is it still sore? Are you doing Pt? How often? How does it feel after? Did you keep it elevated 23hrs at day and at night in the first 4 weeks? How much hardware was put in? I have 4 big screws on the tmt, but I also had a bone graph at the mtp with 2 smaller screws and at cartiva implant in my big toe joint.

I started taking the boot off at night at 8 or 9 weeks too.

I'm at 10 weeks tomorrow and a bit swollen and occasionally sore, but my foot didn't swell much. My x-rays were at 7 weeks. The doc said they looked good. I'm walking in the boot around my place and short quick shopping trips for food wen I can get at ride from family or friends.

I started taking steps out of the boot in a soft shoe a couple days ago. Heel walking and actually shuffling more than walking. Very scary at first. I did a bit too much walking in the boot yesterday and it has been quite sore on and off for the last 24 hrs.

The end of July is a month away still...maybe see how its doing in a couple weeks? I dont know your situation or what you do for work but I hope you can stay off as long as you need and you can go back to work when you're ready. No sense going through all this to mess it up by going back too soon.

I don't know when I'll go back but since it's my right foot I can't drive until it's well healed. I hope it will be around the end of July.

I've been doing what the doc has told me with the PT and taking some supplements for bone growth as well as getting good protein and iron. Apparently that's all supposed to help.

I hope your recover starts to speed up for you.

• Posted

Hello Helen, I know it has been 5 years since your surgery. I found your post today and am wondering how you have recovered long term. I am in a similar situation and am anxious to hear from you. Thanks!

• Posted

I just became a member. I had a midfoot fusion 12 weeks ago. Xrays this week show a 50% fusion but my surgeon does not seem worried He thinks there will be continuing fusion in the next 2 months. I'm using an external bone stimulator to give the area a boost (I already had the bone stimulator for an earlier fracture).

I began partial non weightbearing at 9 weeks, and full weight bearing at 10 weeks, but I think that may have been too soon based on the pain I have when walking, and the fact that I'm only 50% fused. I am using my scooter around the house just to give my foot a break.

Has anyone else only been partially fused at 11-12 weeks post surgery? What did you do to enhance further fusion? My surgeon did not advise going back into a cam boot. Thank you for any personal advice. Im not sure this is an active group.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.