The urge to drink more

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since being on ven I have found myself always wanting to drink. I used to drink on weekends but now I find myself buying wine throughout the week too. Has anyone had this?? Nothing else has changed in my life

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I feel like that too & iv seen other people saying they got addicted to alcohol some1 even said addicted to gambling & Theyv never gambled before now.

• Posted

Well venlafaxine can make you thirsty because it gives you a dry mouth, so could you try satisfying your increased thirst with non-alcoholic drinks such as fruit juice or sparkling water?
    • Posted

Hi pixie it's not a thirst it's like a need/ urge type of thing.. thankfully that's not aside effect I have ??

• Posted

Kutiebug, oddly enough I had something similar to your situation while on venlafaxine. I have been off of it for a month or so now and the urge to drink is partially why. I have never been a big drinker my whole life. (I am now 37.) While taking venlafaxine I noticed my insomnia was significantly worse. The venlafaxine was amping my brain up at night and towards the evening I felt the need to drink alcohol to relax. I slowly weaned myself off the venlafaxine and and am sleeping better and do not feel the urge to drink like I did!
  • Posted

Venlafasine unlikely to increase your tendency to drink, its either you felt better on it and you want to derink more, or you feel more depressed and tackling it with alcohol, another thing with these drugs they can make you do irrational stuff one of them might be more alcohol for you....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.